Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Music from Season 8

I was just sitting here realizing that at this point last year (and the 3 years before that), by mid-June, I had already created my personal American Idol compilation CDs from the season's live performances and lovingly labeled and shipped them to family members and friends, handed them out to moms on the playground and to neighbors....heck, even sent some to Internet Idol acquaintances!

It was magic. As soon as the finale was over, I would download the live performances from that final evening, personally select what were, to me, the season's most memorable performances, and create a season mix (remember the Mix Tape? A relic of the past....) I would try to include a number from each of that season's Top 10 just to be fair and keep things well-rounded (Lisa Tucker or Ramiele Mulabuy, anyone?). It was a task I anticipated with joy, and I took great pleasure in putting together and then sharing the CDs, and in reliving some of the season's best musical moments in the minivan throughout the summer and into the fall and winter....and beyond?!

So, why this post? Admission: I have yet to burn a Season 8 CD. I did download the performances but have been dragging my feet to create a 'best of" CD. The reason? While in years past, I have found it hard to limit the CD to the 80 minutes imposed by the hardware, I don't think I would have trouble this year doing that, and in fact, might have trouble even finding 80 minute's worth of decent music to put on the thing! I remember last year having to make song cuts that were tough...Archuleta's "Stand By Me" or Micheal John's "Light My Fire" when I had already selected "It's All Wrong, But It's All Right" for MJ's signature number, for example....this year? Meh. I've been listening to the downloads on my iPod and frankly, outside of 4 or so Kris Allen tracks, a few Allisons, a couple of Dannys, with one signature number each from Adam ("Mad World", the one without the screaming), Anoop, and and Lil' thrown in....that's all I can muster up.

I also feel hampered, as previously blogged, by the fact that we got less music this season. And that was primarily because of the 4 judge panel who needed to yak. We now know that all 4 judges will indeed be returning to Idol in the fall and that this problem will be addressed.

I am still undecided if I will press on with a CD from this year....so far, there has been no demand.... peeps?

2 comments:

IdolHead Ed said...

Not only do I have my CD burned for season 8, it's already worn out. I have Danny, Allison(Many)Adam, Kris(many),Matt (2) Megan (1. I ahve to do somehting until their CDs come out don't I?

Idolhead Ed

Idolmama said...

Ed, it's so great to hear from you....love your blog. Glad to hear that S8 has provided so much musical enjoyment for you! So happy for the Allison signing, and hoping for Danny record news soon. I'm still playing S7 for the most part...just keeping it real. Keep on writing!!