Thursday, February 25, 2010

First Cuts: Idol Says Goodbye to Four

Tonight's results were a bit shocking for me! I don't know, I guess I missed the ball on this one, or I was sidetracked by the fact that Kara raided Paula's jewelry collection tonight. I had NO idea that adorable and talented Janell Wheeler was even in danger of going home, but she did. Did anyone else think her outgoing performance was waaaaay better than Tuesday night? It was far too early for her to depart, I can't even say much more than that. I almost wonder if her 11 on the Gorgeous Scale of 1 to 10 worked against her...but thankfully, she handled the ouster with great grace and class. Shout out to you, Janell!

Likewise, I was (almost) completely blindsided by Ashley's departure. I say almost because I read some other reviews today that drew media attention to her disappointing performance. BUT, I was totally unprepared to say goodbye tonight to her....an early pick of mine. Again, Ashley, like Janell, is an 11 on the Gorgeous scale and showed her true class by exiting the Idol stage with nothing but thankfulness and grace. Best of luck Ashley!

Allison Ireheta was a Season 8 favorite of mine and I was thrilled to see her take the stage tonight. Looking much the same as she did as a contestant with her flaming red hair and edgy clothes (did that dress really have a tail?) Allison delivered the kind of powerful and raw vocals we came to love from her. She is still so very young.....and couldn't really carry on a coherent conversation with Ryan, though! I wish her the best.

For the guys, although I predicted it, I regret doing so. Joe Munoz actually got great critical reviews today and was highly regarded as one of the better singers last night....so it was a cruel fate that he went home tonight. Again, if he had a back story about immigration, poverty, some sort of personal or family hardship....we would have voted for him, but producers left him out. Alas, just a good voice won't take you the distance in American Idol, at least not without a fight.

What I didn't predict was That 70s Guy leaving us so soon! Wow! Tyler Grady was a unique contender who I thought had at least enough of a shtick to keep him around a couple more weeks, but I guess not. I have to say, he was so class-less in his exit interview I found myself glad that he left. Yes, personality counts in this competition!

Then we come to Kris Allen. I admit that I wasn't a huge fan last year, wasn't a huge fan of anyone in Season 8. But I really, really connected with Kris on his Beatles cover "Let it Be"....I thought it was totally haunting and beautiful. I knew he had gone to Haiti and of course there were beautiful children in the video, and heartbreaking sadness.....so it accomplished what it set out to do: it reminded me of the humanity and loss in this tiny nation and that one person can make a difference. Very much like Carrie's African footage which is not a surprise, since Idol Gives Back has been enormously successful. And I believed Kris, and connected with his personal experience there. And can I just admit that I am so glad it wasn't Adam up there singing about Haiti! Can you imagine how different this whole piece would have been had HE won American Idol??! Yikes...

Now we have a Top 20 and it won't get any easier for those remaining....can't wait to see how the Top 10 ladies take this week's critiques into consideration and change it up....as well as the guys.

What did you think? Were you surprised with the results? Did you like Allison and/or Kris's performance? And do you think Adam would have done a better job visiting Haiti and getting us to send money??

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was not suprised with the choice of male vocalists leaving the show, but I was shocked with the ladies! I would not have picked either one of them to be in the bottom two... interesting. And I voted by the way!
I did not care for Allison's performance and thought she sounded like an idiot in the interview. What's with the fake hair covering half her face and her over the top outfit???? Already a diva and so young... shame. I thought Kris was amazing.. does he have an older, single brother by chance?

Idolmama said...

Thanks for your comments Kathleen! I thought Allison was great, difference of opinion...and I don't know about another Mr. Allen but I'll keep my ears (and eyes!) open for ya!

Idolmama said...

Mmm.....thanks?