Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Big Mike Says Big Goodbye

Boy they really had us sweatin' at Casa Idolmama wondering if Lee was safe tonight! With Casey safe, we were a little nervous. I also have to admit that I wondered about the foreshadowing of Daughtry as a performer on tonight's show, and if it meant that front runner Crystal might be in danger. (Daughtry was voted out at 4th on his season despite being a fan favorite, and you can see why!). Happily, Lee will indeed journey back home this week to Mt. Prospect, Illinois as a Top 3 contestant.

Photo: Lee circa 2002. Lee DeWyze (center) takes a photo with Mt. Prospect Paint owner Bill Lagattolla (left) and present day manager Mike Binek (right) eight years ago. (Tribune photo by Phil Velasquez). (See other photos of Lee and his hometown of Mt. Prospect IL here.)

Fantasia, for those of you who missed Season 3, was a powerhouse to be reckoned with, in musicality, in personality, and in stage presence....well, in just about everything. Her career as I understand has been a little rocky post-Idol, and her last appearance on Idol ("Bore Me") was a little shocking (although remains one of my favorite performances and is in heavy Idolmama iPod rotation). I thought she was good tonight, staying true. Good luck to you in the rest of your career!

Likewise, I am a Bon Jovi fan although they are an aging lot....felt my own wrinkles watching them. Wondered if my guitar-loving 10 year old son found them at all relevant and I'm not sure. Why were they on tonight? That is the question...somewhat random 19/Fuller promotion that we aren't aware of. (?)

The Crystal/Mike bottom 2 match up left little mystery as to who was going home. Thankfully, Mike held his own with grace (while his wife totally fell apart) and his exit performance was lovely but reminded me of why I would never endorse him as the American Idol, just not my style.

Hate the Top 4 elimination, glad that it is behind us, and look forward to hometown visits from our top 3: Casey (Texas y'all), Crystal (small town Ohio) and Lee (suburban Illinois).

Was the right person eliminated? Did you enjoy Fantasia and/or Bon Jovi? And do you think the Ford commercials are necessary???

2 comments:

SandraG said...

Mike was the right choice for sure. Casey makes me nervous because I can see him winning even though he's not the best singer.

I did not enjoy Fantasia's performance and thought Bon Jovi looked a bit "wiggy" as in "hair piece" and agree with you as to exactly why they were there. I thought Daughtry was GREAT !

Our local papers have been featuring Crystal's home town visit for several days now...but I guess it could have been a "going home" visit too.

Great BLOG !!

Idolmama said...

Thanks as always SandraG! Love my fans! I agree that Daughtry showed 'em how it was done.