Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Second 12 Perform....And Fail To Impress

After having to wait an extra night to watch this week's performances, I was pretty juiced, and the press leading up to tonight's show seem to suggest a hot group. Well, after watching tonight, that must have been Paula's press corps, since they didn't know what they were talking about. I thought, on the whole, it was a pretty weak show. My sister-in-law called to suggest I describe it as follows: "I have two words: Talent Night at the Elks Lodge." LOL. And furthermore, none of the Idol hopefuls read my blog from last week to get instructions, since tonight was The Night Of The Wrong Song. People!

I venture a guess to say that downloads from tonight's performances on iTunes won't break any records. In fact, why is iTunes even doing this?! I don't get that. WAAAYYY too early.

I'll start at the top. Sweet Jasmine Murray from Mississippi had lots of good press, a beautiful family supporting her, and a megawatt smile going into tonight's show, and while I liked her performance, the judges really slammed her all the way around. She reminded me of both Jordin Sparks and David Archuleta with her youth, raw talent and confidence, but they didn't buy it. In fact, Simon said she "didn't have a good voice." Well, she took this medicine like a pro and remained poised and adorable. I don't think we've seen the last of her! (Well, not this season, but maybe next?)

The next three singers were a train wreck. Matt Giraud, coming into tonight with lots of positive press and high hopes, Chose The Wrong Song. And I hope Jeanine from DC is one heck of a bartender since her future as a pop star was not helped by tonight's overdone performance of "This Love", and despite a unanimous vote for great legs, she needs her old job back. And Nick Mitchell? I suppose you want to know what I think of him....course my mouth hung open during his "performance" . In the end it left such a bad taste in my mouth...I don't appreciate the mockery of Idol that it was, and wish he could have just sung something straight without the gimmick, because Idol isn't about gimmicks....I think I suddenly feel really sorry for him, and dislike him more than Tatiana, and that says a lot. But if Vote For The Worst has their way, he will stick around a while.

Aha! The clouds break for a moment to bring us pink-haired high schooler Allison Irehata. According to the press, this girl had virtually no chance to advance, given the poor screen time she'd been given, and noted that she would have to really hit it out of the park to stand a chance. Home run! I was really, really surprised at how good she was, and agree that she is very Kelly-Clarkson-esque.....she got my only vote tonight.

For me (and this is a blog, so therefore I am entitled to say what I think), the clouds returned for the next 5 performances. Kris Allen, another Unknown With a Lot To Prove, didn't really do it for me. Choosing a Micheal Jackson song, again, people!? When will you learn? Actually the judges went pretty easy on him, but I would choose Ricky Braddy over Kris for the wild card if pressed. He wasn't bad, but in Simonspeak, he was forgettable.

I know she's got mad fans out there, but Megan Cockery? First off, the outfit. Little girl white dress with big flowers on the front, with tights and ballet flats.....contrasted with an arm of tats as extensive as a Viet Vet. Hhhmmmm... .. Don't know what to make of that. And then that crazysilly swinging dance move thing she did for the whole song....distracting. It seemed like it might be the right song, but I don't think she sang it as well as I expected her to after her audition.

Since Micheal Sarver already made it to the Top 12 last week, you know there is only room for one Working Guy, so Matt "the welder" Breitzke is pretty much out. I, again, actually liked this song he chose and didn't think it boring at all, but who am I?

And while I liked Jesse Langseth's performance (but liked her sweater more), she talked too much and was just a little too comfortable with the judges. Could be her music family background (apparently her brother is a well known blues artist, I don't know him), but am still reeling from the DUI mugshot I saw of her, especially after meeting her adorable daughter tonight. I wish her the best.

And Kai, who didn't heed my makeover advice....sadly didn't impress at all. Love that his mother was able to be there, and I hope she had a good time for her ONE opportunity to see her son perform on the show, since he has virtually no chance to advance, and I don't see any wild card opportunity for him, either.

The last two performers, as expected, raised the bar a little and gave us something to talk about. Mishavonna Henson was also someone we knew little about through the auditions and Hollywood week and as such, had a huge hurdle to overcome compared to some of her better-known contestants. And I really, really liked her....found her to be smooth and composed, despite her youth. But the judges didn't go for that, calling her out for sounding old when she should sound young....and telling her to loosen up. If America doesn't vote her through, she gets my Wild Card pick!

Show ended with the showstopping Adam Lambert (pictured above). Talk about press! This guy has had it in spades. His outfit was so over the top, all bedazzled about the head, neck, face and chest....was that from Paula's line??!! Geez. Way too performy for me. He embodies all that everyone hated about Constantine, TIMES TEN, but since he was still the best guy tonight, he will go through.

What did you think? Were Paula's chihuahuas in fine form? Was it casual day at Idol with Ryan in a polo and jeans? And did you miss the parent/family/friend meet and greet thing in the Red Room they dropped from last week?

1 comment:

dear friend said...

You know it's a weak show when Nick Mitchell was the most entertaining. And I was actually entertained by his performance. Isn't the show ultimately about being entertained? He will not win, nor should he (although my guess is that he will turn this into something profitable for himself - the next Pee Wee Herman?). But we should all be able to handle poking a little fun at the Idol franchise.

I mean, really, the fact that we support an enterprise that enriches that mediocrity of a talent and judge, Paula, is almost enough to make me give up my addiction. Bearing in mind that legions of little boys and girls watch this show, I cringe every time her inability to tell someone they can't sing causes her to talk about a woman's physical attributes. Last night it was someone's legs, which then gave Simon and Randy license to be men behaving badly. And I ain't no femi-nazi! I am a red blooded American male. But what message do we send to our youngsters when we encourage girls to reveal more skin to make up for lack of talent? The men are told to sing better; the women are told to undress. A real low point of the show for me.

The high point was getting rid of that other cringe-inducing device: the parent/contestant/Ryan meet and greet. Apparently I wasn't the only one shouting at my TV last week and fast forwarding through those awkward and pointless moments. They must have heard America's collective screams!

Finally, I also liked that they started the judge's comments with a different judge each time rather than with Randy. It only took 8 seasons to figure that out? Dancing with the Stars got that right from season one.

Well I have said a lot without saying anything about the singing. Let me put it this way, calling it Talent Night at the Elks Lodge is an insult to Elks!