Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Lee and Crystal Sail Into Idol Finale

As predicted, blond-haired southern guitar playin' Casey James was sent home tonight on American Idol. Casey ended up lasting far longer than I had predicted, and certainly longer than I thought possible based on his shirtless audition (which we got to see again tonight). I do think he was pretty good but I'm not sure his third-place finish will rival those of ....wait, let's see the previous Idol 3rd place finishers: Nikki MicKibbin, Kimberly Locke, Melinda Doolittle, Syesha Mercado.....Jasmine Trias....Vonzell Solomon .....uuuuhhhhh....doesn't look good for
Casey! Seems there is a curse on the 3rd place finish!

His hometown visit was sweet, though, and I can't recall seeing an autographed dog nor half the hilarities I witnessed on that visit....some crazy folk in Texas! Good luck Casey! His sing out song was sweet. Was that his little sister? Neice? Neighbor? Seemed planned and comfortable so I don't think Casey blindsided her, and I don't think that adorable little girl was a stranger he plucked from the audience. No worries!

Meanwhile we were also treated to hometown visit footage from Crystal and Lee. Now, my hometown was actually about 30 miles from Toledo, so those were my old stomping grounds, and when Crystal talked about Northwest Ohio, she talked to me, and I loved seeing her groundedness and love for her hometown and roots. Tons o' people turned out! Dad was so proud. I liked her original song a lot and loved that they played it during her montage (why wouldn't they?) She represents so many bar singers who are talented and just need a break. I, for one, am glad she went out for AI.....no matter what happens, it's changed her world tremendously and her son's too.

Lee's footage from Chicago and Mt. Prospect, Illinois was amazing, and not just because I live here! Wow, the downtown affair (which my husband witnessed), the Wrigley pitch, the First Grade Teacher Giving A Speech About Me, the tearful and emotional paint store reunion....Lee showed himself in this footage to truly be Everyman, and one who was not at all entitled or demanding, but just grateful for the opportunity. His vocals at the racetrack sounded great, too. I think he is the only one of the three I would purchase....just saying....

There are split views in the idol sphere....either they are really pimping Lee to win, or they are setting the stage for a Crystal victory by pimping Lee so much. Recall how in Season 7 there was massive David Archuleta press and hype all season, while David Cook quietly made his mark....the top 3 and finale shows they really praised Cook, almost to even the playing field. Crystal has been a top performer from the very beginning, so they may be trying to create drama. Is Crystal a shoe-in? Or does Lee have a chance at the title? This is a great article from my hometown Chicago Sun-Times ....

I love the hometown visit footage, but I have to be honest: the other highlight of tonight's show for me was Justin Beiber's performance AAAccck, I know....a teenybopper? But in self-defense, I am the parent of kids ages 8, 10 and 13....so you can imagine that I had heard this name before (and likely unknowingly financed a download or two) and was terribly curious to see what the gist was. I was honestly impressed by his musicianship and talent. What a cutie! He was far less raunchy than Justin Garland, the act who got to appear before him who was supposedly 'discovered' on You Tube. Hmmm.

Can't believe that Season 9 comes to a close next week. I can't really even make a prediction right now....I honestly thought the playing field was even between Carrie and Bo and between Jordan and Blake......I have no internal radar on such matters! But I can tell you that I'm happy with both. I think Lee has grown the most and has the biggest commercial appeal for me, but I have trouble discounting Crystal because she is a great musician and vocalist. She is maybe more comfortable than Lee, and didn't show the growth that he did, which could hurt her. I really don't know, but I predict a DeWyze victory!

1 comment:

SandraG said...

Hmmmm....wonder if Casey will become a male model??