Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Where the Boys Are

It was refreshing to take a break from the Presidential Primaries and relax with a little bit of Idol, don't you think? (Yes, I'm giggling as I write that....) I was juiced for another 2-hour episode, and as predicted, it flew by! I agree with the press that all 12 of these guys can sing....so how shall we separate the pack?

In case you missed it, here is the tally: we saw three guys who were cut last year only to make it to the Top 24 this year, three contestants with what Simon calls the IT! factor and three guys who's performances Simon called "boring", two contestants who claim they've never sung before in public for more than a few people, one orange suit, one "grotesque and hideous" performance, and finally, two gorgeous biceps :)

I can't believe that two of these guys will head home on Thursday, because I admire each of them for standing on that stage tonight, and I hope they've had a good time so far. And we know it's an honor just to have been selected, yada yada yada.....we'll start with the not-so-good news. There are very easily 4 guys tonight clearly in jeopardy of going home with no questions asked.

As darn cute as he was, Garrett Haley is just no match for the older, more mature and experienced contestants. Even so, I can't believe he's never sang in public. It certainly didn't show, he has a very nice voice, although hesitant, and his take on "Breaking Up Is Hard to Do" of course didn't come close to A-Fed's Season 4 performance for me. He is a cutie, tho, and I'd like to see more of him. Likewise, Jason Yeager has a smooth and enjoyable voice, when you are on Carnival getting ready to call at Cozumel, but he's not right for Idol. (Note: watch him, tho, since he has both the Grandma and all-important Mommy vote with that adorable son at his side!) I liked Chikezie in earlier auditions, but he clearly soured Simon tonight, and I just had trouble with the lower register required for his song choice. When he talked back and got sassy, I was ready to click the "eject" button on him. Finally, adorable as you are, Luke, I'm sorry that tonight didn't showcase what I know you are capable of. Chalk it up to nerves, but it wasn't your best night. We still love you! I hope we see you again next week! But if not, can I talk carpet with ya? I've got these stairs......

In the middle of the pack are David Hernandez, David Cook, Colton Berry and Danny Noriega. Colton and Danny have some work to do to win over voters next week, if they survive. Danny had a little too much "swagger" and not enough "singing" to let us see what he's capable of and note to him: do NOT channel Kellie Picker and draw attention to your awesome shoes to deflect attention from your negative feedback! and then diss Simon! People don't like that. Likewise, while you have a very nice voice and amazing control and showmanship for an 18 year old, Idol isn't about showmanship! Colton, if you come back next week, show us something we can hear on the radio and remember and humble yourself while you're at it.

I'm pretty sure David H. and David Cook are safe this week, but will have to step up to insure a spot in the Top 12. David H. has a great voice, but he's just too dang serious...like the judges said, lighten up! A smile goes a long way! People like to see that you are having fun and enjoying yourself. Meanwhile, David Cook just received his diploma from the Constantine School of Rock with his mic-stand-holding moves and his bedroom eyes and intermittent growl....this alone will pass him along, I'm sure of it.

Sure bets for next week? Ex-Britney squeeze and Boy Bander Robbie has enough goods to get votes, and since Paula said he looks "fantastic", he's through :) Likewise, Micheal Johns is a shoe-in for next week. His natural charisma and smart song choice played well. Also, David Archuleta will be back after a fantastic Cap't and Tenille covered number that had me grinning....he got more screen pimping than any other contestant tonight....not that it wasn't deserved, but geez....his whole shtick lasted 20 minutes or more (didn't it?) My peeps in this house love him (but since they are all still in grade school, they only get half a vote).

My favorite tonight? A relative unknown: Jason Castro. I admit, his dreadlocks threw me off...but his smile won me over. I was worried about the guitar thing but he did it. He was fresh, and unique, and very fun to watch....and since he's one of the ones who says he's sung in front of "five people, at the most", he's got that plucked-from-obscurity I can root for! I look forward to seeing more of his "IT" in the coming weeks!

So, what did you think? I'd love to hear!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watercooler buzz.....
Thought the performances, other than, let's say THREE, were really just fair. David Archuleta.. he's truly the "it" boy. Michael Johns.. irresistible. (Talking about his voice, Idolmama!!) 3rd for me was Jason Castro.. he's got something unique.. besides the dreads. The rest of the pack was really left in the dust....

Anonymous said...

Jason Castro is already a star after that night in my opinion. He's got all the charisma of justin g. and three times the talent. he's gonna be BIG! just you watch!!!!!

Anonymous said...

someone on the show tonite either simon or randy said that Patsy Cline sang "Where the Boys Are" busser sound NO CONNIE FRANCIS sang it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!