Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Ain't That a Georgia Peach...

Hotlanta! Wow, I've got great memories from that city...not Idol-related, mind you, but great nonetheless... anyhow, I'm amazed that the (more or less) same number of golden tickets were given out here than in the other Season 7 audition cities (20)...question to Fox: does someone actually keep track during auditions, to keep the number going to Hollywood from each city even? Cause I'd like to know...that seems a little strangely coincident. Maybe it always has been, and I hadn't noticed.

Anyhow, before I get into discussion of tonight, I have to amend something I wrote earlier. I was a big fan of Robbie from Miami, said he was Bo and Ace rolled into one.....with his cute lil' black beanie and tumbling curls.....well, I take that back. I read today that he used to date Britney Spears. Nufsaid.

Moving forward, tonight's auditions can be broken down into the usual three categories: those who actually can sing and should go to Hollywood, those who were given the Golden Ticket but under questionable circumstances, and those who were given the Hollywood OK that we really should not be seeing next week. We'll start with the third group!

Josh and Josiah. We started the hour meeting Josh, who looked the part, but unfortunately had "demonic eyes" that didn't go away even though he auditioned backwards (was that a first???) I don't know, I have to quote my better half on this one. Immediately after his audition, he announced (as if to center me) that "they have put worse people through and said 'no' to better people"... couldn't have summed it better myself.

And Josiah? Okay, Back Story of the Year on this one....BUT, c'mon....he is not Idol material. Yes, I feel for the guy, and as a mother, am programmed by nature to be concerned about his intake of leafy green vegetables, regular bathing and teethbrushing whilst living in his car....but he can't sing. Period.

Moving on to the "Auditioners in Question". We seem to have more auditions this season who are passed along despite possessing the vocals that, in the past, were required. (Sorry, but I think so.) In this category tonight were Amanda and Brooke. First of all, two-toned Biker Nurse Chick Amanda may be the "real deal" as Paula pronounced her, but she is no Chris Daughtry, and she will not survive Hollywood with her one trick pony (I mean Horse/Hog). Secondly, Miss Pageant (AKA Brooke) did really crack me up, and surprise me because she actually can sing better than most pageant singers I've been unfortunate enough to witness, HOWEVER, she will have to work mighty hard to convince me next week that she deserves a spot in the top 24.

So the two Golden Ticketeers tonight that impressed: Asia and Alex. I'm sure that if I Googled Asia I would find all kinds of things about how she is already a professional, has a record deal, etc....that seems to be the running theme for this season's auditions....but just going by what I saw tonight, the girl has "it", and not just because of her tremendously sad backstory....she has a million dollar smile and spirit to match an awesome voice. I'm going to watch her! Similarly, Alex's 93-year-old Great Grandma didn't know that her 16-year-old dearie would impress as much as she did... I really liked her, too. And kudos to Grandma for coming along for the ride!

I cannot write this post without a few more comments. Loved that Ryan's parents came out...makes him more real. OMG, that auditioner who was "two away" from Carrie in Season 4...kicking himself for not getting her number....now, that is torture he is living with! I want Ryan to shave. Favorite exchange of the night: Brooke (AKA Pageant) to Simon:"I love you!" Simon: "I know."

Verdict: A hundred million percent YES for tonight's audition show! Take me to Hollywood!

No comments: