Tuesday, January 22, 2008

San Diego Brings It On

I don't know about you, but those opening shots of sunny beaches, surfing, shorts and sandals had me California Dreamin' here in Chicago (where it's a balmy 13 degrees at the time of this writing).

Even though we learned that 31 people made it through to Hollywood, we only met 6 (by my count) of them tonight, meaning they must have some great singers to introduce us to during Hollywood week. It goes without saying that the 1-2-3 punch right from the start was an interesting opening. Tatiana didn't impress Simon for some reason, getting that biting comment that has to sting ("You're not as good as you think you are") but I thought she had a pretty voice. We'll have to see if Simon predicted correctly.

It's hard not to root for Perry, father to the most adorable pony tailed 3yo boy I've ever met, or for the Hottie (I mean Aussie) that could sing, too. Now, I've got to say for the record that I am personally ready for an American Idol winner that is a male, pop vocal singer....and this year might be the one! I thought Ace Young might have been the one during Hollywood week in Season 5, and I still think he's way cute, but maybe this year? Aussie has me wishin'....

Other Hollywood golden ticket winners were Samantha (and sister) both with "things" for Simon; David, the vocal-cord-paralysis-recoverer who I really liked (but 16-year-olds never seem to do well during Hollywood week, 'cepting if you are Lisa Tucker or Paris Bennett); and the Irish Carly, who had a lovely voice, only I kept singing Jordin Spark's hit single "Tattoo" under my breath for some strange reason I can't yet figure out.... hhmmm...

Simon was his usual self with helpful comments, telling one contestant that it was obvious that "three different people dressed you today" to his proclamation that he "loves this country" after getting the sister sandwich from Samantha and sidekick. Alberto and his spinning-Barbie-eagle-fan-fingernail thing was a little much for me, and while I cheer Blake (and his Mom!) for their Idol audition tenacity (10 cities???), it was a bit, well, sad.

Question: Why, if San Diego produced the best talent (according to news reports) did they give tonight's show just one hour, while giving Philly and talent-starved Dallas two hours each? Also, did you notice that there were no split votes shown this show? In Dallas, there seemed to be several auditioners who got through based on a split vote of 2-1. All six golden tickets tonight were unanimous. Just an observation...

No comments: