Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Windy City Winds a Bit Weak

I was excited for my hometown auditions to air tonight and I've got to be honest, they weren't good. I guess the film editing powers-that-be at FOX figured that out early on, too, because the entire hour didn't cast Chicago in the best light. The opening montage alone about killed me, the swearing would have made a nun blush, but then the paucity of golden tickets given out here just made us look like a bunch of losers. No wonder we didn't get the Olympic Games! Well, the city looked beautiful and it's still my kind of town after tonight's auditions.

There was more joke than talent shown tonight, so this is a short blog. I honestly wasn't take-it-to-the-bank excited about anyone tonight, but there was some Chicago talent. We all remember Angela Smith from seasons 7 and 8, and I am happy to see her back tonight. Thankfully she is still within the age range to audition again. She's great, and I'm not surprised to see her get her ticket to Hollywood, but I wonder if her hopes and dreams will get dashed again for the 3rd time, not because of her daughter or a speeding ticket, but because she just doesn't stand out enough. But until then, I will cheer her on!

I also have to give it up to the salon-stylings of Amy Long, who's parents have a hair salon in their house. Um....and I thought my dogs shed. Well, she has apparently been performing for customers for a while now, and even though she is just 16 and has what Randy called a "small voice", there was something very genuine and natural about her that I really liked.

Finally, my favorite of the night was the very first auditioner shown this evening, Katelyn of the curly blond hair and divorcing parents. I don't think she can win the thing -- but I love surprises! -- but she impressed me and and hope Hollywood is good to her.

On to Orlando to see if dreams come true...

No comments: