Tuesday, January 26, 2010

L.A. (AKA Least Appealing) Auditions

I realized this week on my way to work that there are, basically, three types of Idol Watchers out there that I have encountered. The first type watches only the audition episodes, enjoying the worst of the worst and the parade of bad singers, but isn't at all interested in seeing, hearing, voting for, or crowning, the next American Idol. They basically tune in for the first 2-3 weeks for giggles and then turn on something else. (If you are reading this blog, I assume you are a Fan of American Idol and can therefore never imagine that such a type exists, but trust me - it does!)

The second type of Idol watcher is the opposite....hates the audition episodes because they find it unacceptable to, essentially, make fun of people. This watcher skips the first few weeks entirely and only tunes in when/after the Top 12 (or so) are chosen. Again, I know....hard to believe that anyone could skip an episode of Idol! But they do.

Finally, the third type of watcher watches the entire season from start to finish, more or less, enjoying the good with the bad, taking the awesome with the awful, the ghastly with the good.

Which type are you? Poll is to the left....

The Los Angeles auditions had a higher golden ticket ratio than Chicago (one in a thousand auditioners got through in Chicago, while one in 500 made it to Hollywood from LA) but I don't feel like we got to see that talent. By my count, we were shown only 5 Golden Ticket winners in any depth: Neil Ranger the worship leader, Mary Powers the rocker, Andrew Garcia the former gang member, Tasha Layton the Personal Assistant by day and minister by night, and Chris Golightly, the Foster Kid.

We were also treated (?) to two guests judges tonight in only one hour's time, meaning we got very little time with either, but enough to leave me with lasting impressions of each. Both of these ladies know what it's like to be a struggling artist and sing your heart out in front of people. Even so, Avril, up first, showed very little compassion and love for the auditioners tonight, giggling and falling out in a way that has now bumped her down a notch below Mary J. Blige as the most disrespectful guest judge this season. And her weird devil horns didn't help. The only singer she gave any props to was the rocker with the black leather and eyeliner, which reminded me of how MJB only gave props to the rappers. Shallow.

On the other hand, Miss Katy Perry had lots to say, and most of it was to Kara. Cat fight! I wonder how much of that was scripted for the cameras and how much was real, but there was a real battle at tonight's judges table over who knew more...Katy or Kara. It made me long for the feel-good days of Kristin Chenoweth and Girl Power!

Wondering if Kara had surgery over the summer or just consulted a wardrobe expert. Maybe Paula's former wardrobe person needed a job?

So of the five ticket holders tonight, I liked the three guys. First of all, to have two worship leaders of the three means that Danny Gokey has had an influence on this season (forget Adam Lambert). I loved Neil Ranger's "authentic voice" as Simon called it and hated how Avril called his family and work situation (three kids and job as a minister) as a negative for being a potential pop star. Thought that was totally out of line. Who else have they restricted in this way? No one that comes to mind. Shame on her!

I also liked Andrew Garcia (how could you not). Did anyone else see him as a wonderful blend of Danny Gokey and Elliot Yamin? Kara's "110% yes" was decidedly less enthusiastic than this season's trademark "one bazillion percent yes" but we'll take it. And of course I liked Chris-the-Foster-Kid-Of-Justin-Guarini-Hair. I just hated how Katy cheapened his audition by shaming Kara's enthusiasm with the admonishment that it "wasn't a Lifetime movie, sweetheart..." Gosh. Can I get a Cold Hearted Snake, anyone?

Which brings me to my next topic: The Backstory. It's been much discussed, touted and misaligned regarding AI auditions, and I've got my own take. Stay tuned.

Worst contestant: The Adam Lambert wannabe A. J. Mendoza. I don't want to give any attention to bad auditions in this blog ,but what I totally don't understand is, the judges hated this guy and yet, he sounded EXACTLY like Adam Lambert did to me all last season. Anyone care to explain the difference to me?

Last favorite moment of tonight: Sandwich guy Damien Lefavor introduces himself. Simon asks, what's the latest thing? Damien answers, "Rock..." to which Simon replies, "No, I mean in sandwiches." The answer is, "Pepperoni, pepperoni, pepperoni..." LOL!

Did you see your next American Idol in tonight's LA auditions? Do you think Avril or Katy should replace Paula? And do you think pepperoni really is the most popular sandwich topping right now?



5 comments:

SandraG said...

And I am watching this show for ?????

I liked the Justin G. look-a-like the best...next Idol?....too soon to tell, however, cut that awful hair off and you have a very nice looking guy with a great voice and personality!!

Great BLOG !

Idolmama said...

Thanks SandraG!

BHirz said...

You do such a great job with this AI blog! Definitely have an entertaining way with dialogue and engage interest!

Idolmama said...

Thanks BHirz! Glad to know I have readers :)

Idolmama said...

Thank you, 受傷, for reading and for your thoughts! (I couldn't read it, so I asked a work colleague who told me that the comment says "Thanks for your sharing, may you have a long-lasting colorful life." Indeed!