Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Season 9 Kick Off!

Welcome everyone to Season 9 of American Idol. I have "negative energy" going in to this season, to use terminology from tonight's show...IDK...last season was just meh for me. I'm going to watch this year because it is good entertainment, and goshdarnit it's Simon's last, so what the heck....but my expectations are tempered.

I had a blast watching tonight's show, of course. Tears, laughter, shock, sadness....it was all present and accounted for! First of all, Ryan Seacrest may have questionable judgment when it comes to some of his TV ventures, but he is the best in the biz at connecting with people....for example, the way he interacted with everyone, but especially the Nigerian family, was just tops...I remain a fan. So glad he hasn't left! He has a way of connecting with 'ordinary' people that cannot be topped in today's television....Bob Barker was also a master, for example, IMO....

I have never been to Boston but after tonight's show I'm ready to pack the car and ROLL! You people are fun, and your city looks beautiful (in summer, anyway). Loved the accents, and people overall weren't nearly as annoying as I expected them to be. (Boston reader peeps, I expect a shout-out and conversation!). The video editing and sound people on this show are just truly the best...you've got to admit they do an amazing job. I'm sucked back in!

I will try and summarize my thoughts on tonight's 2 hours by noting just the good performers, and within that group, my favorites. (This is after I wipe my notes clean of the tears of laughter I cried at the very first contestant who "mastered" the AI karaoke game and went to Hollywood so many times....OMG....) I should add that if I took the time to even write your name down, I liked you.

I have a 3-point scale tonight, and first off one-half star goes to Bosa, the Nigerian, my hometown boy from Columbus OH! I have to root for him, on principal, and also because I loved his family...but he could sing ai''ight, too.

I give one star to the big Italian guy, Amadeo; to Tyler the drummer-turned-front-man with two broken wrists; and to Mike the speedboat actor. The Italian guy from the big family, we're rooting for you and think we'd like to come to your house for dinner. LOL, that was one hilarious post-audition huddle, no?! I certainly agree that Tyler needs to get out from behind the drum kit and sing leads, I liked his energy and think he's got a great voice and rock presence (but what kind of rock God climbs trees?!) Finally, the speedboat 'actor' (what does that mean?) was charming and could sing so I'll make a note of him this episode.

My two-star players were Maddie Curtis, the lovely young lady at the start of the show with the special-needs brothers; Luke the red-haired waiter who was one of the harmonizing trio featured; and Justin the cancer survivor featured at the end of the show. Maddie was _absolutely adorable_ and I just loved her voice...and so mature for 16...that's because she had to grow up sooner than most her age due to her family circumstances. Luke the waiter (with beanie) reminded me of David Cook! (and that is a Good Thing). And Justin had a great voice and soul and he radiated warmth. Pulling for him in all ways.

My top dogs from tonight? I have to preface this paragraph by saying that I admit a bias going into this season....to quote a fellow blogger, the great MJ, we have crowned two WGWG the last two seasons (that stands for White Guys With Guitars) and so even though many, many WGWG were no doubt inspired by Kris Allen's win, there will not be another WGWG winner this year. Period. Sorry.)

I will venture to guess, on tonight the first night of Season 9 that we will see a woman win this year, and she will be a woman of color and/or mixed race/ethnicity.

Given that, my top Dawgs from tonight are Ashley Rodriguez and Katie Stevens, hands-down. First of all, Ashley totally reminded me of Jordin Sparks and as I listened to her sing, I could hear myself saying, she could win! She was totally gorgeous and adorable and could sing the phone book and all. You Know. Now, I know this is only the first city of 6, and there are lots of auditions to come....but.....girl could win the whole thing. I also really liked Katie Stevens who has the Portuguese grandmother with Alzheimer's. Adorable and talented, and could be her year.

And that is the Season premiere! As always, I welcome your comments! Thanks for reading!

No comments: