Monday, November 26, 2007

Carrie's Carnival Ride

I love to purchase CDs from favorite artists the day they are released and enjoy each and every track like a Christmas gift .....and this was no exception. I had high expectations of Carrie's sophomore effort and with good reason: Some Hearts was an amazing debut album I count among my favorites. But instead of turning out a "review" of this CD after spinning it once or twice, I've played it over and over in the minivan for the last 2 weeks, mostly alone, and let it sink in and really edge it's way into my inner soundtrack. And instead of talking about each of the 13 tracks, I offer to you my take on three of my favorites, songs I personally think stand out and make this disc one we'll be hearing from for a while.

You've heard it by now, but if you haven't, you're in for a treat. The first single released ("So Small") had me hooked at the first line: "What you got if you ain't got love..." I love the message of hope this song brings. The video brings that message home with simplicity and beauty, and I must say...it's common sense, but even I need to hear it now and again. Co-penned by Carrie herself, under the banner of her new song publishing gig with a cool name, Carrie-Okie Music! LOL!

My next fav is track 6: Crazy Dreams. I think this is the perfect country song! You've got banjo, guitar, fiddle...and upbeat track and inspiring message (I sense a theme here) that I really just love....and I count myself among those hairbrush singers, wild bloomless magnolias and firefly chasers! LOVE IT.

Finally, since I decided to limit myself to three tracks, I have to call out number 10. I love reading liner notes, one main reason I still buy CDs instead of downloading tracks electronically......I love knowing who composed the song, who played what instruments, who produced, etc....and because of this, I learned before even listening that Randy Travis penned this tune and that none other than Vince Gill sang backup...and I knew I loved it before the first listen! And it didn't disappoint. What a classic country "hook" we can all relate to (I told you so!) with beautiful harmonies.

I can't stop here without adding that it was tough to limit myself to just 3 songs...I also love the roof-raising romp that opens the CD ("Flat on the Floor"), the haunting "I Know You Won't", and "The More Boys I Meet (the More I Love My Dog)". And even though I really tried not to compare this album to Carrie's first, it's tough not to listen to "Last Name" without thinking of "Before He Cheats"...the lyrics don't jive with that sweet, Southern Carrie we fell in love with on Idol....no tire-slashing in this one, but a drunken road trip to Vegas after a night of too much tequila! This song will be a hit! Along with easily 3 or 4 others, following in the footsteps of BillBoard blockbustering that Some Hearts paved....

Carrie's in for another wild ride!

No comments: