Thursday, January 29, 2009

Final Auditions in PR and NY

The promos leading up to tonight's auditions featuring the "twin" cities of San Juan, Puerto Rico and New York, New York (fraternal, no doubt) lead me to believe that some kind of gawd-awful disaster happened during the auditions, and I was terribly curious to see what that was. (And yes, it wasn't the hook/promo that got me to watch the show when I wouldn't otherwise, they had me at hello.)

Turns out (surprise!) it was nothing. The hotel/place at which they were holding auditions had some sort of sunscreen mounted up against the windows so that Paula didn't get too pruned, and at one point those screens very dramatically collapsed (putting no one at risk). Whatever.

I had read earlier news pieces this summer (noted last night) that San Juan was a huge disappointment and had all but decided to tune it out...I liked that they included it as an audition city and wondered what was "up."

A whopping 9 contestants got put through to Hollywood, which is our smallest number yet from any locale. Was there any talent from PR? YES, in the form of Jorge Nunez, who I really thought was great. He got to do 2 songs (“My Way” in Spanish and “What a Wonderful World” in English) and I was swooning before he was done.

I also liked Monique Garcia Torres who brought her little brother along for support and sang “You Can’t Hurry Love” by the Supremes followed by “I Turn to You”...wonder how Hollywood will treat her? Hope she can stand up and deliver?!

Other than these fine folks, I was struck mostly when that big boat finally took off from behind the office/hotel suite where auditions were being held...did you notice?! Do you think they knew about the filming?

I was also left wondering about the 26 people let through from NYC and wondering why they relegated that group to essentially a 30-minute segment....interesting.

On to Hollywood Week!

No comments: