Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Where Florida Begins...Auditions from Jacksonville

We traveled south tonight to the place "where Florida begins." Auditions from Jacksonville brought us introductions to 6 Hollywood hopefuls along with a handful of colorful characters including the first-ever appearance on Idol of a golf cart (off-road, at that); a true Mr. Split Personality; lap dances all around; and a physics student who's wildest dream includes a house with marble floors.

Whew!

Of the six singers we met tonight headed for Hollywood, I'd say two have The Stuff to maybe continue their Idol journey beyond next week, two had better bring the A Game to impress, and two are Hollywood Cannon Fodder.

Hollywood Hello Means Goodbye....I am obviously wrong about this since Terrence "T.K." Hash is widely rumored to make the Top 50 in Hollywood, but despite his boyish good looks and charm, I found him to be pretty generic. Same can be said for Sharon Wilbur who brought her shih-tzu to the audition....breaking out the Carpenters brought a smile to this coming-of-age-in-the-70's gal, and she did inspire a raucous Girl Make Out session, but seriously....can she win this thing? I don't think do.

Hollywood Has to Impress...The self-proclaimed Justin Guarini lookalike tile layer Joshua Ulloa definitely has some musicality but sadly it was lost in too many runs, affectations and body tics. I wonder what he could do if he just SANG. And I'm also wrong on this one since she is also widely rumored to make the Top 50 but Anne Marie Boskovich just seems to lack the confidence to survive a brutal week in Hollywood....could that explain why she has been waiting tables in Nashville and trying to make it into the music business? I guess the same was said for Kelly Clarkson....okay, maybe she can do it. But I just didn't get why they made her leave and change clothes and put on make up and come back....seems like that was all just drama for the cameras (they knew immediately she could sing). Annoying. Okay, I'll grant you that maybe I'm annoyed with the judges and not her....but I'll hold off on my membership application to the Anne Marie Fan Club until Top 12 week.....

Speaking of Top 12....Okay, it's WAAAYYY too early to even think about this, but tonight's best shots for at least advancing past Hollywood week IMO were Julissa Veloz and Jasmine Murray. I know that "Miss Florida Latina USA" Julissa had more than enough confidence and a very annoying laugh, but I actually thought her take on Whitney Houston's "I Have Nothing" was one of the best to be attempted on Idol in recent memory. I tell ya, Confidence is King in this business, and she's got it. Also not lacking in that was sweet 16-year-old Jasmine Murray from Mississippi who traveled to Jacksonville with her equally stunning sisters and Mom to audition. Her take on Fergie's "Big Girls Don't Cry" was great, and as Simon put it, her look and sound are "commerical"....which speaks volumes in this business. Maybe I'm overstating her potential, but I liked her, and look forward to seeing what she (and her entourage, 'cause you know they're going along !) can bring to Hollywood.

What did you think? Did Kara borrow that dress from Paula's wardrobe? Were you struck by the fact that Simon remembered no one from the first day of Jacksonville's audition, and does that speak volumes about what Florida brings to Hollywood? Or did the Sunshine State shine tonight?

No comments: