Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Summer of Lullaby in San Fransisco

Coincidentally, today's Word of the Day on dictionary.com is "pandiculation" (\pan-dik-yuh-LEY-shuhn\) which is a noun meaning, "an instinctive stretching, as on awakening or while yawning." How would they know I would be experiencing pandiculation while watching the San Fransisco auditions for Season 8 of American Idol?

For a city so invigorating, so captivating as the City By the Bay is, how could tonight's talent be so sparse (only 12 golden tickets, compared to 27 in Phoenix and 26 in Kansas City). I know, the editors tried to spice it up with some Kara-Simon drama, but it wasn't all that. This was Idol-Lite, folks, and after a full day of inauguration excitement I guess I'm relieved. Kind of.

From my notes, we met only 11 of tonight's auditioners, 7 of whom were passed on to Hollywood (meaning there are 5 folks from San Fran we'll meet when we get Hollywood). Of those 7 we'll see in Hollywood, two were surely sympathy tickets: Tatiana from Puerto Rico and Jesus Valenzuela. Okay, they weren't terrible singers, but it was clear there was more to their Hollywood vote of confidence than just performance. Tatiana's psychic-psycho laugh didn't seem to scare the judges at all, and even Simon admitted that she "didn't get through on her vocals" as if that were okay (like Bikini Girl got through on vocal alone? Plu-ease.) Jesus was pleasant enough, and his 2 boys were indeed adorable, but I think he'll be eaten alive in Hollywood (although I won't enjoy watching that).

The two best of the night (IMO) were the last 2: Adam Lambert and Kai Kalama. I agree that Adam has some theater stuff in there, no question....but he didn't come across as totally Theater to me, and I found his personality to be endearing and sweet. My 'tweener and I agree he's a cross between Joe Jonas and Zac Efron, and for that reason, I think we'll see more of him past Hollywood....

Kai is in SERIOUS need of a makeover, but imagine what they could do for him! Remember David Cook's Hollywood days? No one gave him a serious look .....if Kai cut his hair and got a good shave, those pearly whites would sparkle and his warm personality would shine through even more....I liked him and his Mom, too.

Other than the above, the hour was spent taking a break from inaugural coverage and pointing out the Full House "house" to my daughter and discussing the relative architectural merits of the Sunshine Skyway in Tampa, the Mackinaw Island bridge in Michigan, Tower Bridge in London and the Golden Gate in terms of spans, methods of construction, etc....and wondering what Randy really meant with his comment about Paula "just wanting a baby". Most awkward Idol Judge moment to date? I think so!

Do you think Kara is fitting in? Have you seen anyone audition yet who you think could win this season?

No comments: