Thursday, March 4, 2010

Four more out and Danny Gokey is Back!

Like Ellen, I hate Thursday nights....well, sort of. Let's get this group pared down to the Top 10 STAT. I can't say I totally agree with tonight's decisions, but that's part of the Idol experience.

I will say that I love Danny Gokey. Funny, at my house we had to check each other as to which season he actually appeared on....I couldn't convince my better half that it was actually the most recent one. That is really telling, I think. Anyway, I found Danny's performance and post-performance banter to be infectious and utterly endearing....I knew his disc came out this past Tuesday, and it's only because of logistics that I have not been able to purchase it....but he will, in fact, become my first Season 8 CD purchase. ( I know, I could download it in a second....but....I am one of those funny purists that still prefers buying CDs over downloading them because I like to read liner notes, see who played on what tracks, etc.) I will come back and blog a formal review of the CD!

The men were easy to pick off this week. I was sorry to see John Park go, mostly because I think he has a nice voice that never really shined post-audition, and also because he is a local guy. He exited with class and I think he's terrific. John, call me! We'll do lunch and an exclusive interview for this blog!

Jermaine, on the other hand, was ready to go. God, destiny, whatever.....bye bye to you and your man-sized onesie.

The ladies were a bit more painful, made all the more so by the drama offered up by Fox with the Michelle/Didi match-up and ultimate Michelle ouster (a surprise, given her fantastic feedback the night before and Didi's relatively weaker showing). Both are terrific singers but I think Michelle suffered from a lack of back story, which Didi had lots of, and then her post-performance waterworks to back it up which likely gave her some sympathy. Michelle, you are gorgeous and talented and I know you have a lot to offer the preschool kids you teach and the rest of the world. Good luck to you!

I hope that Didi can rally from this week and come back next week and surprise us all with her talent again....can't wait to see.

Haeley, on the other hand, WAS robbed, and not by voters but by the judges. Recall Angela Martin? From seasons 7, 8 and 9? Who made Hollywood Week three years in a row, but never the Top 24? Here is my problem....Haeley spent her Top 24 tenure being reminded of her inexperience....and then was ultimately sent home tonight because of it. Why couldn't the judges have given her a ticket for Hollywood Round Season 10, and selected Angela for this year's Top 24 for example....instead, what happens is that Haeley -- a truly talented and infectious teen with great potential with a little more time under her belt -- is now ineligible to return to Idol EVER because she made the Top 24 but went home at number 19. Something about that doesn't seem right.....

Did one of your favorites go home this week? Did you like Danny's performance? and did I really see Kara rubbing up against Simon tonight?

No comments: