Tuesday, March 2, 2010

What a Difference a Week Makes for Top 10 Guys

Last minute switcheroo in performance order for the guys and gals today, which must have been a tiny bit stressful for the menfolk, but they didn't let on that it was. I've never heard of a schedule change like this one in Idol history. We know Crystal is a gal favorite.....but....this is unprecedented. Not that every contestant doesn't deserve the chance to perform healthy! Okay....I will switch out of critic and pimping/conspiracy-mode and wish her a speedy recovery.

I was so happy to see that tonight's show was 2 hours. It's so hard to squeeze everything in with this many performers. Everyone got a little extra time and feedback in front of the judges and based on tonight's comments, that feedback does get taken to heart.

Consistent theme tonight was how much better (most) everyone was than last week. I'll chalk that up to first-time nerves last week, and to contestants just not being sure what to do. I think we've seen the (almost) birth of a couple potential stars-in-the-making tonight! Because of tonight's long show I've got limited blog time so will cryptically offer my comments in order of performance:

Micheal Lynch: Theater + football = Troy Bolton with bigger arms! Love that he's everyman like Troy and can be a theater geek and a jock at the same time, and he's passable as a performer, but don't see that star potential tonight. Big giggle over this exchange: Kara, surprised at how much better he got from last week, says, "I don't know what you ate this week...[to make you a better performer]" to which Simon replies quickly under his breath, "Everything..." LOLOLOLOLOL (okay, my 7th grader will think that is really corny but I am really laughing out loud right now!). Micheal is in cruise-mode, safe into next week but in no way a real contender for the title.

John Park: I thought his song choice of John Mayer's "Gravity" once again showcased his nice bottom end...okay, that joke has run it's course. John, you have a nice enough voice and you are my hometown boy but I agree with the judges that there is nothing to get excited about and I, too, struggle with your believability. I really, really want to see you succeed but I'm afraid for you this week.

Casey James: I can't stop thinking of Bucky Covington when I look at James, and then my mind wanders and I remember Constantine Maroulis and I get all confused. Country Boy meets Curly-Headed Rock God and well, it's all topsy-turvy for me, and unfortunately not in a good way for Casey tonight. His rendition of "I Don't Wanna Be" was passable, by Idol standards, but paled in comparison to Bo Bice's, and maybe even to my main man Elliot Yamin's. Nice guy, okay voice, but I thought his vocals were thin and he was really Rock Star Lite with the whole performance. Clearly, the Powers That Be at Fox want him to make the Top 10 so we can all find out what was in the pre-performance box....ugh. Could you be a bit more obvious?!

Alex Lambert: I am still grinning from this performance. Here's a kid who doesn't even really know what he's got, who has never really sung in front of anyone, and who's biggest enemy is his own nerves, yet he has an awesome voice and real star potential. Wow. One to watch! This is why I love American Idol!

Todrick Hall: I liked that he chose a female song, so as not to be compared to the original artist -- Okay I'm being Ellen right now! Trying to find the positive about each contestant! -- but sadly he did Tina no favors tonight. Alas, I am not a fan. Just can't connect, and feel like he is putting on a show. Don't know how else I can describe it. Danger, Will Robinson.

Jermaine Sellers: I found it hard to get past the Pee Wee Herman outfit and strange hair, and that was after he told us about the man-sized onesie he sleeps in. I can see how he can knock it out the ballpark in church but I am not a fan....I am glad he didn't butcher Marvin Gaye but I wasn't really digging it. Bottom three.

Andrew Garcia: I love Andrew and like the judges, I am patiently waiting to see more brilliance, AKA 'Straight Up' from his audition....and once again this week, not so much. I still adore him and think he's great and I know America does too so he'll be back next week, but can we get some of that kickin' Andrew back, STAT?! Time is running out....I really do like his confidence on stage and know he can bring it.

Aaron Kelly: Again, likable kid and he didn't completely flop given the pressure tonight, but didn't see that star quality I am looking for.

Tim Urban: I can't imagine having such a famous last name, nor can I imagine having that many siblings! Is this another Mormon Idol family (not that there is anything wrong with that) that we didn't know about? Despite a fairly mediocre voice and stage presence, Tim is so utterly adorable that he's compelling. He may be an underdog if he can get with himself and really deliver the confident performance I think is there.

Lee DeWyze: Again, this is why I watch Idol. No experience, down on his luck, tough upbringing, no confidence or belief in himself whatsoever, doesn't know how to stand or act or even hold the microphone....but a glimpse of that something we could possibly call 'greatness.' Lee managed to get to the Idol auditions and get to the Top 24.....based on what he can do, and not much more since he's had virtually no screen time. I agree that he's a little too David-Cooky for my taste (no one compares with King Cook at my house) BUT I am really intrigued and humbled by this guy...and will keep an eye out, as are the producers obviously since they gave him the Pimp Spot.

So, distill this blabber down to, loved Alex and Lee tonight with Andrew coming in close; felt Tim, Casey, Aaron and Micheal were safe but need to step up their game, and see Jermaine, Todrick and (gulp!) John Park in danger tonight!

What did you think? Is Kara getting prettier every week? Do you think Ellen's comments are valid? And do you think my local guy John Park has a chance to turn his Idol ship around?

No comments: