Tuesday, April 14, 2009

At the Movies with the Top 7

Lots riding on tonight. This was a make-or-break week for Lil, Matt and Anoop for sure, and since they all can't go home, someone had to tank. Who was it?

Meanwhile, can you believe that they adjusted the format of the show to include comments from only 2 of the 4 judges after each performance, in an effort to save time and avoid going over as they have in weeks past, only to have to cut them all off at the end to once again avoid going over time at the end??!! ARGH!!

I was intrigued by the addition of Quentin Tarantino as mentor, and hadn't remembered his stint as guest judge in Season 3 (had you?). I believe he is a talented movie producer, but wondered what he could possibly bring to the Idol stage other than name recognition and a few giggles. By the end of the show, I gave props: dude knows what he is talking about. The feedback he gave to the contestants was real, it worked and I was impressed (and that ain't easy to do). The idols chose slow songs for the most part, although Adam was the exception with tonight's only uptempo selection.
So, how did movie night shake out? Pretty well, considering we didn't have any Disney entries, and nobody completely fell apart and blew it. That said, the evening provided some pretty clear categories to discuss. I'll divide them using standard fare from the judge's table:
Mad Love: As in, million percent yes, unanimous fantastic, you're the one to beat, etc. Actually, I didn't think any contestant got mad love from the judges tonight.
Props: Meaning, good job, I liked it. Allison and Anoop got props tonight. First off, Allison is a star, have I said that enough? Her performance of Aerosmith's "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" was terrific. I tried not to compare it to David Cook's, but it was easier given that they are opposite genders and totally different performers. I can't understand why the judges haven't been pimping her from the beginning. Too edgy and rocker? (true, they haven't historically done well on Idol). Too young? (well, David Archuleta and Jordin Sparks were both 16 and 17 years old). Too pink-haired? (they haven't, historically, done well either....see McKibbon, Nikki; Olivarez, Vanessa; Adams, Amy; Sierra, Jessica; and Glocksen, Gina). I think her voice is fantastic and really feel like she is just the thing Idol needs for a winner... now 19 Entertainment and American voters need to be convinced of the same thing.
Anoop delivered a beautiful "Everything I Do, I Do For You" and the judges (Randy and Kara in this case) thought it was great, and Kara even pronounced it one of his best. I can't disagree, although I found myself wondering if I could really see him as the American Idol this season, and I have to admit, I couldn't.
Keeping It Real: This is where the judges say, I liked it, BUT....and then there is some kind of hesitancy in the critique. I would have to say that Matt and Danny fell into this category tonight. First off, Matt has been struggling and has been inconsistent in past weeks. He chose "To Love A Woman", a beautiful song also done by Bryan Adams (who has to feel good this week that two of the seven songs performed were his). I'll admit, I've not been a fan of Matt's (although don't deny his talent and would have loved to be a fly on the wall of his piano bar in K-Zoo Michigan before this all started!). I tried, tonight, to see and hear him with fresh eyes and ears, to try and connect with what millions of others apparently have....and tonight, I caught a glimpse of Matt and what makes him special. Beautiful song, great delivery....yes, vocals weren't spot on the entire time but I connected with him I think for the first time.
Meanwhile, Randy found it pitchy and rough, and thought he had "too much stuff going on" (meaning vocal rifts and stuff)....and Kara said he struggled between rock and soul. Hhmmph. We'll see what America thinks.
Danny, too, had his issues tonight. First off, where were the glasses? Did he get Lasik and not tell us? I also wondered, again, why he didn't heed mentor's advice: Quentin said, put your hands in your pockets, and yet Danny still did his whole wave and point thing while singing....
I find "Endless Love" to be a very boring song and I thought Danny's delivery started slow but delivered a big finish. I can totally get where Simon would be disappointed given David Cook's amazing take on Lionel Richie's "Hello" last season, but come on...that is a high bar to reach! I love, once again, how Danny stays true to himself and his beliefs with his song choices that come across honest and real without being preachy or patronizing.
Split decision: Three singers had split results tonight, and I think that says a lot. Adam, Kris and Lil got mixed reviews. I think that means nobody completely flopped...which is true....but the new judge's format and shortened comments made it tough for the judges to really let loose.
Adam's choice of "Born to be Wild" was kind of a surprise for me. There were SO many songs being tossed around the Internet for him this week (not that he would see them) but this was not one of them. Personally, I get his vocal chops but I am not a fan. Too theater, too performance, too high-pitched and falsetto for me. I know this is not a popular opinion! Deal with it! He got the fancy light show and some of Paula's choicest commentary this season about daring to "be in the path of greatness and bravery" and such, but Simon was right on with his Rocky Horror connection.
Meanwhile, Kris couldn't have been further from Rocky Horror....he chose a song from the lesser-known but beautiful movie "Once" and performed the song "Falling Slowly" which received a 2008 Academy Award for Best Original Song. As Kara said, it was an obscure song, but it also turned out to be one of his best, and I agree. Randy thought it was pitchy and didn't catch the groove. I thought it was spectacular and love Kris tonight more than yesterday.
Lil had the pimp spot tonight, and I think that is because the Powers That Be sense her vulnerability and know that she is struggling, but still want her in the finals...so what better way to support her, but pimp her! She looked beautiful, although I can tell you as a mere mortal viewer that Lil looks completely different. How can I connect with a contestant who looks so different than she did just a few weeks ago when I fell in love with her? All of a sudden, I don't see that Memphis mom who has 3 kids and lost her home, I see a glamour -girl with all kinds of eye make up and hair extensions that totally change her look.....just saying. I don't fault her at all, if I were in her shoes, I would probably do the same, but I think we've lost Lil in all that.
"The Rose" is a beautiful song, and her vocals were adequate, but I did not see a star.
What did you think of tonight's movie performances? Did you see Katie Couric in the house? Did you like the band being back on stage (I did). And most importantly, who do you think will end up in the finals with Adam?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

To start off, I totally agree with your comment about Adam, I feel that he sounded so "Broadway" and not really pop-esq.. Which makes me wonder if although hes sooo talented and definitely is qualified to win, if Allison or Kris might sound more like the typical American Idol winner..I know thats a generalization but...

Secondly, Anoop has totally thrown me for a loop, I was talking to my mom 2 weeks ago and we agreed that he was undoubtedly going to be voted off, and these past two weeks hes seemed to "wow" me putting on amazing performances!

Danny--I was too wondering why he didnt take the advice and keep his hands in his pocket, i do however think he did a good performance, all his performances I am a fan of, however this was just not as great as his others.

Kris- I love Kris, i love him more and more each time! hes so charming and cute and has an AMAZING VOICE haha :) I think he did an amazing job this week, and he did chose a song that i was unfamiliar but he still made me love the song! Also, I like his attitude when the judges don't say something great about his performance, he takes any criticism very well.

Allison- still can't believe that she is 16 and can belt out a song so well! I think she did a great job with her performance and gave it her own spin which shows her artistry.

Matt- I can't help but have a love for matt each week, because I know how badly he wants it and he seems to be struggling to find a good song to perform, to me he sounds a "justin timberlake-ish" and although he doesn't have amazing ratings for his performances i still think that he should get signed after, they all should!

All I know is that I can't wait til tonight to see who is voted off, it will be sad because they are all talented....and I want to get tickets to the tour when they come to chicago!

Maybe this is me being a new american idol fan, but has the top 7 always been so good? its hard for me to even chose, but you have more expertise since you've been a fan since I've started babysitting!

Anonymous said...

Kris Allen made this so called 'obscure' song more than his own.Brilliant performance.
Its hard to believe that an amazing academy award winning song like "Falling Slowly" could still be so 'obscure' to music lovers. So much for good taste :)

Idolmama said...

Hereforever, I stand corrected. I should have put quotation marks around the word "obscure" regarding Kris's song choice, as I believe it was Kara who called it such.

I agree that it was brilliant! But the question is, will Kris ever get the respect he deserves?!