Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Idols Bring Swagger to Rat Pack Classics

I loved tonight's show. Not only was there just great music, but the kids were cool, horns were blazing, everyone looked dapper borrowing from Ryan's closet, and the muck from the judge's pit was kept to a dull roar.

It's true, they are all very, very good. No dull knife in this drawer. I hope they all have continued music careers after Idol! Best of luck to each of them. At this point, it isn't about the performance tonight, it's about previous fan bases...no?

I was, however, looking forward to hearing two songs each from the remaining 5 contestants, as they typically do at this point in the competition. However, it seems that because the shows have been running over time, even with 7 and 8 performances in one hour, the powers that be knew they couldn't do 10 performances in a one-hour show with comments from all 4 judges for each song....so....they each performed one, and we had lots of comments, and footage of each contestant with tonight's "surprise" (read: last-minute) mentor, Jamie Foxx.

Huh?

Okay, I thought this was a family show, but my kids were like, isn't that the guy who dissed Miley? Wasn't sure about what he would bring to the show at ALL, but in the end, really liked the guy and found him to be an endearing mentor.

I am tired and it's late, so I'm going to do a stream-of-conscience thought-dump post of tonight's show, in the order of performance, with some concluding thoughts. Kay?

Kris is beautiful. No, really. He's a beautiful person and a GREAT singer, and I think he might make the finale. (I'm struggling over whether or not I actually want him to, because only two can get there and I have other favorites.) Jamie said Kris was his "number one" and I wasn't sure that was because he actually went first, or because he was actually Jamie's fav. He did say he wants to hook up with him if the Idol thing doesn't work out, which I think he was serious about. Kris sings "The Way You Look Tonight" in a soft and sultry way, and the Crush Train just rolled into town....yowza! I was on it. I get with Randy, Kara and Paula that it was fantastic, but what in all things Idol did Simon mean that it was "wet"? I'm with Ryan, Simon should 'slpain....and then Ryan telling Kris to "go dry off" was classic. I heart Kris and think he's a star.

Allison came out dressed like Brittany Murphy but sounding like Pink (according to Randy) but according to me she was just great. Like Paula, I was really hoping for something softer from her, something that would showcase her vocals and let America see what a gem she is...tonight was something like that, a beautiful song but not as much tenderness as I would have preferred. While great, I still think she pushed it vocally a little more than I wanted. Kara thinks she is headed for the finals (does Danny know?) but Simon thinks her lack of confidence is apparent (does anyone sporting pink hair lack confidence?). I'm hoping Simon said that so that people speed dial her tonight! I want her to stay!

It's Matt's favorite week (jazz) and he's glad he's here for it, even though he got a "B" in jazz in college, LOL. He does "My Funny Valentine", which I must say is a personal favorite of mine, owing to the fact that I still listen to Constantine's version from Season 4 (and not Mindy Doo's show-stopping version from S6, what can I say?!). I hear something from Jamie about changing keys and holding notes, and I'm not sure Matt did that until Paula comments that she liked that Matt took Jamie's advice. I honestly don't find his vocals to be as good as Kris's or Allison's tonight, I don't like the hat, and agree with Kara that I'm just not connecting with him. I don't know if you saw this, but in the opening sequence of the show tonight with Ryan, Matt looked terrified. At the end of the day, though, Simon pronounced it "brilliant" which is akin to getting an A+ on your jazz final.

Danny, Danny, Danny. I just know that no matter what happens the rest of the season on Idol, I will hear your sweet voice again. I know that it might not happen next week, nor in the show's finale on May 19th, but you are someone who will make music after this show is finished no matter the outcome, and I will purchase it. Danny, with fresh breath, took on the classic "Come Rain or Come Shine" and while it started slow, I was "high as a mount-tayne and deep as a reaver!" by the time he was done. The Church of Danny was in the House and he blew the rafters off as I expected. I actually had to rewind and watch this one twice. Randy decided that Danny can sing (just now?) , Kara dug his swagger, and Paula called it stellar...and then Simon hit a comment home-run with "outstanding"....just what Danny needed this week. I liked how Simon gave props to Jamie for helping to bring out whatever it was in Danny by getting up in his grill....it worked!

No surprise, the Chosen One closes the show. White Suit, Pink Stairs, Pimp Spot...need I say more? Adam sings like he's already won, and Simon would call that confidence. I want Simon to call it indulgent, but he doesn't. I agree with Randy that it's too Broadway, too theatrical, too drama....enough said. I also don't like it when singers sing with their tongue hanging out, but apparently Adam has a lot of fans doing this, so who am I? Kara calls it sleazy, and I finally feel understood.

I am resigned to Adam being in the finale, but up against who? This is the million-dollar question. It could be any one of the remaining. Well, except Matt. I think Allison is the long shot to the finale, and Kris and Danny are even-steven. Both are terrific. I can't speculate!

I hope Matt is the one to go tomorrow, and I hope its not Allison, although I fully expect that it could be.

No comments: