Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Holy Mother of All Things Disco!

Okay, I'm still shaking from tonight's show. And not in a disco way. I really, really don't know what to make of all that.

It didn't start out good for me when I was still waiting to start my DVR when a good friend text (texted?) me to notify me that, in his opinion, the results shows had hit a new low tonight. I started my tape with much trepidation, and admittedly, low expectations.
Imagine my surprise when, I actually LIKED the group number! Didn't like the lip syncing, but considering all the hawt Paula Abdul dance moves they had to complete, I guess I'll let that slide. (I can understand since I'm one of those either-walk-or-chew-gum-but-not-both types.) I thought the dance was cute, everyone looked like they were having fun, and I enjoyed it more than I expected. I especially liked the part near the end when they each took off down the "runway" to strut their personal stuff. Memories of every frat party, high school reunion and wedding I've ever attended came flooding back....but in a good and thoroughly cheesy way.
Unfortunately, from there, it all kinda ran downhill. And I'm not talking about the "shocking" (NOT) eliminations of Lil' Rounds and Anoop. I'm talking about those Diva Disco Dinosaurs they dragged out of the crypt to perform. Part of me was like, hey! These ladies did their thang in the day, let's honor and show respect....they did sing live, after all, something our own Idol contestants didn't do, and I gotta hand it to them for coming out and giving it their all.
Problem One was that, they just about gave it their ALL and then some! First off all, the outfits....man. A few sizes too small. I found myself discussing the laws of physics with my 9 year old son while watching this family-friendly (?) show. And then I found myself wondering out loud about the entire disco genre in general....where it came from, why it was popular, until the man formerly known as Harry Wayne Casey came out and sang "Get Down Tonight" with a slew of women from IDon'tKnowWhere, then I just scratched my head in disbelief. How on Earth did it come to this on the Idol stage? Further, how did this man ever become as popular as he was?! He has no musicality, and that is not just because he shops in the Men's Plus Department now....I just couldn't see it. Wow. Maybe Paula should have taught him some dance moves!
Cute and smiley David Archuleta was out of breath and winded for his performance of admittedly my least favorite track on his debut CD, "Touch My Hand" but it was still nice to see him, and I thought the feedback/advice he gave Allison and Anoop as they awaited their fate was honest and heartfelt...I wish him the best on his upcoming UK tour and summer whirlwind with Disney cutie Demi Lovato.
Anoop and Lil were both gracious exits, thank goodness. I do think they are both very talented, and even though times are tough out there (ask anyone,we're all working hard for the money, particularly Idol also-rans) I do think there is a place for Lil on stage somewhere!
So, we're down to FIVE! I'm putting Matt and Danny on notice this week, even though Allison was the one in the B3 this week. I think she is more talented than both of them. Also, interestingly, since Lil was eliminated, there is no one of color in the top five for the first time in the show’s history. And if Allison had been eliminated intead of Anoop, it would have been the first season without a woman in the final five, too.
What do you think? Did you enjoy the disco divas and KC? Did you shield the eyes of any minors in your house while watching tonight? And do you think Anoop's parents are relieved to go home to NC? I do! Hollywood ain't NC....

1 comment:

dear friend said...

I promised myself I would stay mum, but I just can't help myself! This is a singing competition, not a dance show. If you want to see great choreography and dancing, watch Dancing With The Stars (which I do). Paula's choreography was amateurish, and the dancing was mediocre at best. Throw in lip syncing and you have very low grade entertainment.

My concern with Idol has always been that it runs the risk of dumbing down our standards of artistic achievement (more on that below). And what really annoys me about this particular instance of really lame entertainment is that it was all done to indulge the emotionally adolescent Paula Abdul. What is wrong with her, and why does the show continue to indulge her? The whole thing -- from the rehearsal session, to her opening the act from the stage with her two very exposed dance partners, to the mawkish presentation of flowers -- was of, by and for Paula Abdul. I was embarrassed for her. Grow up, Paula, the show is not about you.

The show is ostensibly about creating new stars. Last season created "stars" David and David. But I must say, I have been completely underwhelmed by their Idol performances this year (so, too, with the performances of Hudson, Fantasia, Pickler, et al). "Stars" they might now be because the Idol franchise is expert at making us idolize them. But artistes they are not (yet anyway). Kelly and Carrie are true artists. Most of the rest are mediocrities.

So here is my suggestion to help all of us keep this thing in perspective: each time you buy a CD or concert ticket for one of the Idols, buy a CD or concert ticket for some kid who toiled in the cafes, bars, and clubs for years before he or she got a record deal or became known. There is so much musical talent out there from people who really sacrificed to get where they are. And they are better than most of what Idol has produced. Support them.

Truth be told, Idol is a guilty pleasure for me. Hence, I must atone for my Idol watching sins from time to time. Thanks for indulging me! I feel much better!!

Go Adam!!! Here is the real deal who has toiled away in the trenches of the biz and who may truly have star worthy talent. Perhaps there is hope for America yet.