Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Idols Do Wheelhouse of 80's Tunes

I've never understood the "year they were born" song theme....you don't know music while you are in diapers!

Once again, my fav performances from tonight don't necessarily match the judge's critique. Allison and Anoop were the highlights for me, while the judges loved Adam and Matt more than I did. Danny went first and while it wasn't my favorite (I think I'm burned out on that song, even changed up), it was solid. Meanwhile, Kris faltered, and Lil and Scott may stumble into the bottom three.

Danny kicked off the evening with "Stand By Me", a song done on American Idol most recently last season (brilliantly, I might add) by David Archuleta, but also even better by Bo Bice in the final 5 show of Season 4. Danny's won't match up to these two stellar performances, but it was good enough to keep him around. As this season's oldest contestant (LOL), Kara said he "killed" it, and Paula predicted the others would be trying to catch up to him.

Then again, Allison also chose a song with some pretty strong Idol history ("I Can't Make You Love Me"), with memorable performances from Constantine Maroulis in S4 and Kimberly Locke in S2, but her performance made me forget I'd ever even heard the others sing it. I echoed Kara's amazement that a 16-year-old could deliver that kind of heartfelt lyric at such a young age, and Paula's suggestion that we just go and make the record already. I love, love, Love Allison and agree she is a Kelly Clarkson in the making! But would the judges use the save on her if needed? Simon wants more "personality" from her.....the collective agreement in the room I watched was that we love Allison, but we just don't know what kind of artist she would be, what kind of genre she fits into, and this could hurt her.

Probably most at risk this evening of losing fans before the performance was Anoop, but happily he pulled us all back on board in just the first few opening notes, slaying Cyndy Lauper's "True Colors" from 1986. Excellent song choice!! I think these kinds of theme nights go best when contestants choose songs performed by the opposite gender, have you thought that? Judges ll thought he was good, but I thought it was great. Beautiful. Million percent YES.

On the other hand, I didn't agree with the judge's assessment of Adam and Matt. (And my Tivo didn't cut off Adam's performance, although they did say they were running so short that only Simon got to offer feedback, but I guess that had something to do with my viewing the show this evening from the Eastern Time Zone.) I knew Adam would probably bring something special to the evening, given that he was last on the docket, but I didn't think what he did was great, and I know I'm in the minority here. I like that he chose a lessor-known song ("It's a Mad World") from the awesome Tears for Fears but I just didn't think it warranted the showy standing ovation from Simon. I know lots of you think Adam has this thing wrapped up, but I have a conspiracy theory I'll put out there one day soon...
I also though Matt's performance of "Part Time Lover" from the mosh pit was pretty cheesy and awful, and that fedora didn't help (although it did hide the mole). The judges must have heard it differently, with "unbelievable" coming from Kara's lips, and Paula standing up. Hhhmmph. Again, still not loving Matt for some reason.

I think we agree on who will probably be in the bottom this week, starting with who-I-hope-isn't: Kris. coming off last week's brilliance makes it more difficult to write that his performance this week was a mess. I still think he belongs in music and not behind the wheel of a cab, but seriously, "All She Wants to Do Is Dance"? I love me some Don Henley like the rest of 'em, but this isn't a singer's song, and the mosh pit made it extra cheesy. Agree with judges that the band/horns overpowered the song and that Kris was lost in it, but thought Simon was extra harsh....I hate the word stupid used in any context! And he said it twice! Along with his mot du jour this season, indulgent.
And I think we've seen the best of Lil. She has a beautiful big box voice that can sing anything, but you have to be able to do more than just sing on this show to take the prize...and Lil just doesn't have any star power, any artistry. Choosing a Tina Turner song just really underscored this point. I will say that I have searched my Idol database (in my head, since I don't know of another) to try and recall any previous contestants who were also mothers of three, and I can't think of any....so props to Lil for that alone, and she is still a winner and a lovely lady.
Cutest baby photo goes to Scott (above) but "The Search Is Over" for who should go home tonight. We've seen all that he can do in this competition, and that ghastly Survivor song did him no favors. And that playing with trains comment? Chicks dig that! No wonder he's still single :) I also wondered if Scott knew that just strapping the guitar on wasn't enough, that he actually had to play the thing. Harsh, I know but I'm so over Scotty!
What did you think? Do you agree that Anoop is back in the game, and that Scott should go home? Did your TiVo cut off before Adam performed? And how sick are you that they can't get the timing right for this show and have to rush (or even skip!) essential elements, like hearing from all 4 judges?? ARGH.

2 comments:

dear friend said...

It is a shame that all of the "stupid" banter among the judges left a lot of us unable to watch Adam's performance on our TV (DVR). Thankfully, we live in a techno age. I was able to find it on the Internet and watched it on my laptop. Sorry, Idol Mama, but it was the best of the night. Allison was second best; Matt, third. Altough I still like Kris more than Matt. I hope that Lil and Scott are the next to go. IMO they are clearly the bottom two.

Unknown said...

I totally agree Anoop is back in the game! i downloaded his rendition of "true colors" because i loved it so much!! and I really love Danny Gokey but i feel this week was by far not his best.
-Christine