Monday, January 21, 2008

"Chicken Soup for the American Idol Soul" book signing



When the opportunity arose for the kids and I to head down to our local bookstore to meet a coupla former Idols, we were very excited, and headed out early to beat the crowd. We were big Gina Glocksen fans during Season 6, and even though the kids didn't know who Jim Verraros was, I did :)


Much to our surprise, there were only a few people there. We were greeted with warmth and enthusiasm by both Gina and Jim as well as author Debra and her friend Mackenzie and her mom. I guess the frigid weather kept folks at home, or that the store didn't do a very good job publicizing the event (I suspect the latter....this is Chicago, after all, we're used to cold weather!)

Kids and I proceeded to get our books signed, take pictures, and chat...after a while, I was feeling kind of guilty taking so much time (and other visitors were trickling in at this point) so we moved on to have the books signed by the author, Debra Poneman. She was so delightfully warm and friendly, and seemed genuinely interested in visiting with us. I asked her, what was the biggest surprise you had in doing this project? She didn't hesitate before responding that we might think that the Idols have one persona on stage, and then when they aren't in front of a camera, they act differently....she assured us that they are all exactly the same as they appear to be.

We also met Mackenzie Johnson, a 4 year old battling leukemia who has been befriended by Ace Young and his fans (Highrollers With Heart). Mack's mom Amy told us that Ace was one of the kindest persons she'd ever met, and that she is forever grateful to all he has done for her family.

It was a really, really cool encounter with each one of these people, far more than I had expected. I had dozens of questions I wish I could have asked...Gina and Jim were so warm and friendly to me and each one of the kids, and took as much time as we wanted to chat and sign books. Debra (little does she know) was a huge inspiration to me as a writer and as a working mom... and Mackenzie was an angel to behold. I wish each one of them many future successes, health and happiness.

Do check out the book! Stories from Idols and their fans, for everyone who believes in a dream!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.