Saturday, January 12, 2008

The good, the bad, and the absurd?

It's been a wild week leading up to the season 7 opener...I can hardly keep up with all of the Idol news flying around! We'll start with the GOOD news....LaKisha's on Broadway! Yeah! Girl got out from behind the bank teller counter and will play the Church Soloist in Broadway's third season of The Color Purple starting this month (well, actually started in December but now it's official). KiKi actually opens the show with the "rousing" gospel number "Mysterious Ways" at all evening performances, and will play Sofia at all matinee performances. Now, that is a show I would like to see...so proud of you, girl...Fantasia said Broadway was pretty grueling, so hoping it's good to you and that you can enjoy yourself! Instead of counting other people's money, maybe you can start counting some of your own! :)

Other good news! Phil has a single! My other bald-headed man has finally emerged with a pretty hoppin' country tune called "If You Didn't Love Me" (as if) and way cool, it was produced by Wayne Kirkpatrick (Little Big Town) (who also slept in my bed once a few years ago, but that is another story) and written by Wendell Mobley, Jason Sellers, and Rascal Flatts' Gary LeVox. It's pretty catchy, and I hope to see it go up the charts and pay Phil some love. Google it!

I'm also pretty juiced that Simon's Idol contract is good for at least another 2 years...we'll get sick of him eventually (he's right) but for now, I'm not. Especially after suffering through Simon wannabees on SYTYCD and TNGAB (from Austraila but annoying just the same).... there is nothing like the original thing.

Other good news! I'm waitlisted for tickets to an Idol taping! Stay tuned...not much hope there, but stranger things have happened... if I go, it will be quick.

Now for the BAD....or maybe it's actually good? Idols are dropping like flies from recording contracts. Taylor Hicks, Katharine McPhee and Reuben have all parted ways with various elements/fractions of 19 Entertainment, Sony/BMG, etc....I'm sorry, but that's no surprise. Getting the votes on Idol does not correspond directly with folks voting with wallets at WalMart...ya gotta put out da goods....and what they put out was bad. I do wish them success. Somewhere.

And Jessica Sierra? C'mon....I actually kinda liked her ...I still play her pretty good version of "Total Eclipse of the Heart" which was better than others in the top 6 did in seasons 5 and 6....she really took a nosedive there post-Idol....poor thing. I do wish her health, happiness, and a reduced jail sentence for 2008.

I also have to comment on Simon's comment that last season of Idol was "lackluster" and had "no real star power"....I don't know what he's talking about. Melinda, Melinda, Melinda....you wait and see....maybe the winner and runner upper haven't broken any records, but I thought it was a very talented group, takes the pants off Season 2 ('cepting Clay of course)...

Finally, the ABSURD....Paula performing for the Super Bowl. I had to check my temp to see if I was suffering from fever-induced delusions when I first heard this. Apparently, it's true. Obviously whoever hired her for this gig didn't watch any episodes of "Hey Paula" on Bravo last year....all I gotta say is buyer beware....(maybe she wants to usurp Janet Jackson with.....aw, no, I'm not gonna go there...)

Three days and counting!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoo hoo! Idol winner is David Cook! We knew he would win because he has the talent of a star! He is confident and really acts out what he is singing! GO COOK!!