Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Kernel of Talent in Omaha...

Sorry, I don't really mean that...:) I thought there were some mighty good singers in Omaha....but before I get to waxing philosophical, I've been asked several times already about my favorites thus far in the auditions. I must, in all honesty, say I don't have any favorites. As I've learned watching this show, you can't count on anything at this point. We've seen people who have really impressed during auditions, only to see them totally tank in Hollywood. On the contrary, those we've not yet been introduced to (via the almighty 'backstory') can surprise in Hollywood...there is too much unknown at this point. (And yes, I've resisted reading the Top 24 Spoilers...)

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, I found tonight fairly entertaining.....with 19 Hollywood passes given out among 10,000 auditioners (am I the only one who found this number surprisingly high?) that does seem a low audition-to-Golden-Ticket ratio....not that there's anything wrong with that...

I loved the opening number with the cornfield shout out....I was thinking, Mel! Signs!

Chris's "life alternating change" of auditioning for Idol pretty much drug on, with the cheesy gifts and ear-splitting Kelly Clarkson rendition...but I do think it's way cool that he might be reporting from Omaha for the finale! I do think Simon is on Happy Drugs! Then poor Jason who Forgot the Lyrics...he is sooooo lucky they stuck around for the finale on that one.....I liked him but hope he doesn't flake out in Hollywood. And "You Forgot the Lyrics" was pretty creative.

(Speaking of which, SHOUT OUT for Constantine....I read today that he'll be on a celebrity edition of Fox's Don't Forget the Lyrics....How cool! Stay tuned for details....)

It's late and I'm tired and there's a blizzard in Chicago at this writing meaning I'll have to get up extra early to clean off my car, so I'm going to keep this short...Rachel the Arm Wrestler was beautiful and had a lovely voice but agree with Randy that the yodeling needs to be kept at a minimum....the Nora Jones cover girl Sara was amazing, but I hope she can sing other kinds of artists...Elizabeth from Springfield (AKA Pit Stain Pattie ) was intriguing, but she's on the wrong show because she is actually America's Next Top Model....LOL....

Angelica and her Dad will hopefully reconcile after her absolutely heartfelt and (I thought) totally genuine audition....drop Celine and find yourself, baby! And rocker David Cook might have gotten his inspiration from Chris Daughtry, but he borrowed Blake's outfit ;)

Finally, Leo was great. Touchdown! (I think Paula is practicing for her Super Bowl appearance). BTW, Paula was delayed in more ways than one tonight....a first for this season....I was kinda hoping we were past that, but oh, well.....

I'll have to look at beach footage again tomorrow night from Miami... oh, the pain.....

No comments: