Wednesday, May 14, 2008

David v. David

I love this cheesy show, to quote my fellow blogger MJ, and tonight did not disappoint....it did not shock, either, and I'm kinda glad for that. Syesha will be just fine! She is a very talented lady and I suspect she knew tonight would be her last....I mean, she can sing, she can act (by her own account), she is gorgeous and has a winning smile, and now AI7 on her resume. Don't worry about her, Dear Friend! she will be okay, and handled tonight with grace and good sportsmanship, thankfully.

Okay the David vs. David finale we've been waiting for will arrive next week. Are we sure this is what we really wanted? Will it actually boil down to Nerd vs. Rocker? Older vs. Younger? Mommy vs. Daddy? I'm not sure what it is. Part of me doesn't even want Cook to win, since I'm afraid it might ruin him...but he's in too far now to worry about that. I am confident that whichever David wins will make AI history in his own way.

(On another note, advance tickets for the tour went on sale today here in Chicago, and after a flurry of email activity and a couple of cell phone calls, we've finally nailed down our group and can make our purchase....this group of minivan-driving moms and our now-tweeners has attended two prior tours together (AI4 and AI6, skipped 5 for a reason I don't recall) and it's a wonderful family-friendly outing...and I can honestly tell you, a great show. Check it out, coming soon to a hometown near you!)

Tonight's show had all the drama, the tears, and suspense of an Oscar-nominated movie....the hometown visits alone had us breaking out the Kleenex in this house. I love those films.....it's so fun to see them overwhelmed with fan love after being in the Idol bubble....and you know, it's the salve that soothes the one who leaves that night. I just can't imagine the stamina required to get through those days of appearances, performances, signings....no wonder they all cry, it's from sheer exhaustion! All three were beautiful, gracious and human.

We must make mention of Fantasia. At first, I was bewildered at her performance....I felt assaulted at every level and frankly, didn't know what to make of it! It looked and sounded like nothing I knew. But we watched it three times in this house and now agree that she is brilliant. Her energy and her artistry may be a little reachy, but the girl can sing, dance and perform, no question. Simon's expressions were just amazing. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall of that judge's table during all that! He looked like a train just hit him. Priceless. I also think Archie needed a chaperon during this performance...it was definitely rated PG-13! Did you see his expression when the (phenomenal) back up singers were dancing? LOL!

Finally, the montages of each of the three contestant's journey to the Idol stage were a great reminder of who they are...and who they were when we first met them. I had forgotten that Syesha's dad was a drug addict, and my heart broke for this beautiful songbird and the pain she must have endured as a child due to her Dad's addiction...a pain we do not see in her megawatt smile and flawless complexion. Made me appreciate her a little bit more. Likewise, I don't know that Idol viewers were ever made aware of the fact that Cook didn't come to audition, but rather to support his younger brother....I believe this was introduced tonight (readers, correct me if I'm wrong!). Wow, that's a complicated family, but it looks like the Brothers Cook are still talking. Cool.

Archie even has a heart inside that vacuous body. The tears at his homecoming were touching, and I believe it was overwhelming for him (and not just his Dad). I still don't know what to make of this kid....but I think we will be hearing from him for a while to come, no matter the AI7 outcome.

I'm sad it's almost over! Like I said, I love this cheesy show.....

2 comments:

Soniasurfing said...

Ok.... I have been silent on this site for many weeks, but I would just like to remind those of you who sat in my house and watched some of these performances of my prediction BACK AT THE BEGINNING of Hollywood week, that DAVID COOK would win it all. TOO BAD we didn't wager anything on that. Sigh. I have to pay for these tour tickets now and could use the cash!! YES I am that confident. Those little perky tweens have nothing on a motivated 40+year-old momma with access to many cell phones and landlines... hee hee....

Idolmama said...

you go girl!