Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Final Three Battle for Finale Spot

Tonight's episode of American Idol proved one thing: each of the three remaining contestants is in it to win it...tonight was a very strong show overall, and after tonight's performances, I can believe that each of the three was separated by such a small margin last week!

First off, we know how busy this week has been for them. Traveling home (which for Syesha, in particular, was cross-country!) for hometown festivities had to have left everyone exhausted and spent. Yet they each had to learn three new songs. That didn't show tonight, as each came out singing to win. First and foremost, I am MOST impressed by the fact that none of the three sang songs they had previously done in the show, a certainty at this stage of season's past. Yeah! Also was struck by the presence of technology...the judges text-messaging the contestants on the song choice! That has to be a first this season.

All of the press about Archie's Dad this week was certainly distracting, and the news that Archie is "Vote For The Worst" 's pick this week a little surprising...but word on the street is that 19 Entertainment doesn't want to work with Archie's dad should he win the whole thing...what a shame. I went into tonight wondering if all of this would show in tonight's judge's comments, or wondering if Archie would flub lyrics or somehow write himself outta this , if you know what I mean...

Not the case. Archie did his thing, and overall the judges comments were pretty much favorable across his three songs for tonight.....Paula chose the song "And So it Goes" by Billy Joel for Archie's first, and I have to admit: I got goosebumps! You all know I am not a fan....have been pretty tough on Little David, so this came as a surprise to me, too.....but WOW. Beautiful song, his delivery was impeccable and as Paula said, he told the story. This was perfection, how can you argue with that? Simon thought it was predicable, but I say, predictably GOOD!

David Archuleta's second song, Chris Brown's "With You", didn't fare as well. I appreciate that he wanted to do something contemporary, and my tweener tells me that, indeed, this song was one she knew (I did not). He clearly struggled with the lyrics (no one pointed that out) and like the judges said, I just didn't get Archie's groove with this, but still a very solid performance.

His third song, Dan Fogelberg's "Longer", was as Paula said, "Lovely". I was reminded of Fogelberg's beautiful contribution to America's songbook and his untimely death. Simon called it "gooey"....but remember that Archie didn't pick the song! I loved hearing it again, and thank you Dan for your amazing and beautiful song, which I agreed was lovely.

Syesha came out swinging tonight, but by my accounts, may have fallen short on her bid to be present at next week's finale. Agreed that Syehsa looks the part, and indeed, her vocals were very good tonight. But as the judges pointed out, we don't know Syesha any better after tonight than we did going into tonight's performances, and this is her downfall. Actress? Check. Connector? No. Her first number was Randy's pick from Alicia Keys, "If I Ain't Got You." I was surprised to see Syesha really do this number well. Her second number, her choice of Peggy Lee's "Fever" was a little disappointing. I felt like she had to rock the sex number since it enabled her thus far to stay in the game, but agreed with Simon that it was a bit cabaret. Her final song "Hit Me Up" fell pretty flat. Agreed with Simon that it didn't give Syesha that defining moment she needs. Danger, Will Robinson.

Finally, David Cook.....WOW. Did I tell you, I love this guy? Yes, I know I know, I love Jason....but a girl can date around, right?? No disappointments tonight from my guy. He hit three grand slams as far as I'm concerned. Judges's pick? Roberta Flack's "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face." Okay, could we ask for a more difficult song?? And Cookie nails it. Hit it out of the ballpark. I was already on my feet when they showed his Mom in the audience, standing in a sea of sitters. And I knew right then, she's standing because she is remembering the first time ever she saw Cookie's face, which was when he was like, 4 seconds old. And they had me right there. Add the flaming wall of fire behind him, and it's all over.

David Cook's choice of Switchfoot's "Dare You To Move" was very good, although I'm not familiar with the song. His final song, the producer's choice of Aerosmith's " I Don't Miss a thing" was very, very good and instant vintage Cook. Like Paula said, see you in the finals!!

Overall, it's tough to imagine anything other than the David v. David finale that has been pimped the last few weeks....stay tuned for further thoughts...

4 comments:

dear friend said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Idolmama -- I'm not familiar with the drama around Archie's dad.. do tell!

David Cook singing Roberta Flack. It doesn't get any better for me. Was the best performance I've ever seen on Idol. Love her.. ADORE him :)

dear friend said...

This is destined to be David versus David because they have each built a solid fan base and have been on top all season. So, from that perspective, they will have earned it if Syesha is sent packing tonight. However, if we watch last night's show in a vacuum (something the judges were utterly incapable of doing), and we rank the three semi-finalists based on last night's performance alone, then Syesha has earned a seat at the finals by unseating Archie. The single worst performance of the night was Archie's own selection for himself; no matter, the judges still gushed. Syesha then gets told by Paula, of all people, that she will not make it to the finals because of a bad song choice: by the producers! The fix was in, and I was hot (think I must have caught a bit of the Fever!), so I voted not once, not twice, but 8 times for Syesha, recording my first votes of the season. Last night she performed and sang her guts out, and she earned a trip to the finals. Archie has an above average voice and can be relied upon for competence each time he stands still and sings a ballad. But, as the second song demonstrated, all bets are off once he moves around, opens up his eyes and picks up the tempo. Does anyone really want to watch him stand on stage and sing one ballad after another with his eyes closed? Which is why I agree with this assessment of one reviewer: "if the voters pick the singer they’d be most likely to download on iTunes, the [judges are] probably right [that Syesha goes home]. [But] if it comes down to who they’d rather see onstage, she still has a fighting chance at making the finale." Go Syesha! Let's hope my Fever is contagious!!

Unknown said...

dear friend has it spot on! I agree that Syesha deserves spot #2 for all the reasons posted in the comment. You nailed it. Archie has a bee-you-tee-ful (thanks Idolmama) voice.. and would have probably be a huge hit with my grandparents.... I hate to admit this, but I fast-forwarded through 2 of his songs.
Paula was quite bold last night.. perhaps her drink was doing the talking ;)