Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Top Four Rock and Roll


Some of you won't like this but Casa Idolmama had Jason Castro on speed dial tonight...I know, I know, he flubbed the lyrics! Cardinal sin! But I say to thee...if you are going to forget lyrics, it's perfectly understandable that they be from Bob Dylan! You can hardly understand what the man sings to begin with, no? I don't know....maybe Jason has the fan base to carry him through a rough week...we didn't get through on our 20 attempts at the time of this writing (but tried Syesha once and got a busy signal, too....) so totally unscientific.

No matter what happens tomorrow night, Jason Castro has a bright future ahead of him, and perhaps one that does NOT involve the Simon Fuller/19 Entertainment artistic juggernaut....he is a star with or without Idol!

Tonight's theme was the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame....notice they didn't force the Idols to actually travel to Cleveland, Ohio (Sorry, Blair and Dear Friend) but just showed pictures. This was a WIDE genre and I couldn't wait to see what the Idols chose.

Um, Duran, Duran? DC, DC.....what were you thinking? I know they have a tour this summer, and maybe you were thinking that as you growled out "Hungry Like the Wolf", but it didn't work for me. You did leave Paula with a big appetite! Simon asked if it was "good enough?" (to get him through to next week) and answered his own question with a "Yes!" Well, we know now after Paula's debacle that the judges do watch the sound check, so since Simon has already seen each and every one of this week's "live" performances, he has the unique opportunity to put them ALL in perspective and let us know that David Cook is safe, since we're obviously in for some sucky performances! ARGH!!!

Syesha's "Proud Mary" got the house wound up....but what she really needed was a pole for this number. Gosh, the girl can gyrate! My husband even commented as such. She is pulling out ALL the punches for tonight, sensing that vulnerability. Well, the Haley Scarnato extensions might work this week since Randy thought she shown the heat, and Paula said she looked like a star (course, Simon disagreed). We'll see.

[Cut to young girl disagreeing with Simon's comments on Syesha.....thought we might have Crying Girl 2008, but I think not]

Next came the somewhat inevitable Castro-does-Marley number...and I thought his "I Shot The Sheriff" was fun, and I immediately thought to myself, this hasn't ever been seen on the Idol stage before! Castro is fresh and different! Only to be totally contradicted by the judges. Randy said it was nothing special, Paula wasn't crazy about it, and Simon said it was "utterly atrocious"....doesn't bode well for him (see Speed Dial reference above). Thank goodness for two performances.

Opie (I mean Archie) came out to do "Stand by Me"...I was looking for Aunt Bee and couldn't find her, could smell the pie, tho! This performance was, for me, totally boring. Ride the Chicago Subway and you will hear this song just as well sung by half a dozen street performers daily down underground. It's a staple. Just like Simon said, tho, David Archuleta could have come out and whistled a tune and been fine.....again. Gosh, they want Jason out!

David Cook comes back for a second number and everyone who knows me knows that Idolmama was smiling for this one.... the Who's "Baba O'Riley", never before performed on Idol...course, I was wondering the whole time what Pete Townshend would say about this performance (Pete -- if you Google Alert yourself and end up here, I would love a comment! Thanks!). Me thinks he would like the nod, and the subsequent iTunes downloads, but mostly the Les Paul....it was just okay for me, I like to think of Idol as a family-friendly show (I'm Idolmama, after all) and the whole Teenage Wasteland stuff was a little intense for me, but....it is Rock and Roll, so who am I to change it up..... :)

Syesha's second number (A Change is Gonna Come") lost me, and not in a good way. Pretty gown, and when the times get tough, the tough break out the cleavage! Her interview package seemed to show a more human Syesha but maybe too late? Judges liked it, though.....then she started crying, and I said, sheesh girl! Cut that out! You of ALL people should know it ain't over 'til it's over! Just cause Randy dissed it doesn't mean you're out! Pull yourself up by your bra straps (I mean boot.....)

Jason does Bob Dylan's "Mr. Tambourine Man" and it's perfect, only he forgets the lyrics....ouch....did he do that on purpose? Is it true what I read this week that he is ready to go home??? I don't believe it. It's a complicated song. Like my 8 year old said tonight in Castro's defense, "At least he didn't stop and start!" Nice. We train 'em young around here!

Finally, Archie does number two in a soft and romantic way with Elvis's "Love Me Tender"...I had trouble with this one only because I refuse to be courted by a 17 year old....but it was good in an Archie sort of way. Its CLEAR they won't have a finale without him.

What did you think? Was that Castro's Swan Song? Did Syesha win new fans? And what was Carly thinking as she watched from the audience?

3 comments:

dear friend said...

Idolmama, one of your commentator competitors wrote of Jason Castro that his was "the worst pair of performances, at this stage of the competition, in the show’s seven-year history." Jason's departure is long overdue. He may be fresh and different, but so was Elliot Yamin. The difference: Yamin has actual talent! Jason is a mediocrity at best. Unfortunately, the totally appropriate bludgeoning he received from the judges might just give him enough sympathy votes to keep him around another week. As for the others, funny you should mention Syesha's cleavage, because I did not even notice that outfit accessory until she was being reviewed by the judges. She is a true performer and she is peaking at the right time. Archie is a very competent singer but I agree he is boring. But he is clearly safe. Which leaves David Cook, the one who should win this competition but who I predict will go home tonight ala Chris Daughtry two years ago. He is a rocker, and he had an off night (which spells double trouble at this stage of the competition). Jason gets the sympathy votes, Syesha's stock is rising, Archie has the teenie bopper vote all sewn up, and Carly is bemoaning the fact that she must share the stage with Castro this summer.

Unknown said...

Sorry Idolmama... No Jason votes from this dawg... but had I watched Idol in real-time, and not at 10pm last night, my speed dial would have been firmly set at David Cook. The guy is all that, AND a bag of chips. Love em!!
Though I used to think Jason was interesting, now I'm not even convinced he has a bright future ..maybe an opening act for a David Cook concert? :0

Loved your comparison of Archie's Stand By Me to a subway act. Clever! ...and accurate.

Love the 2 songs each... have they done that in season's past?

Unknown said...

Dear 'dear friend',
I'm so afraid you might be right about the vote... Jason's hangin on by a thread, but his dreads and baby-blues might seal this deal for him, just as Syesha pulled out her 'big (ahem) guns' just at the right time.. ;)
Archie (yawn) seems to be a fan fav still.. and Cook, well... He'll have a career no matter what happens tonight. I know it's only rock and roll, but I like it :)