Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Guy Next Door is Season 8's Winner

Unbelievable....I couldn't have predicted it. Understated underdog and dark horse Kris Allen is your new American Idol. I could see the shock on Simon Cowell's face (or was that a smug grin because he underhandedly orchestrated it yet again in a classic case of reverse psychology....see how jaded I am?!).

Tonight's finale was very enjoyable, and I've got so many notes and am still amazed and giggling under my breath. I will try and keep this short.



Highlights for me:

  • Kris's duet with Keith Urban. How brilliant of a pairing! I didn't see that Kris could be a crossover country artist until this number....because it was just feel-good fun and good stuff. Totally enjoyable.
  • Allison's duet with Cyndy Lauper. Yes, this song is older than Allison herself (by 8 years!) and the lap harp was a little weird, especially the way it was positioned on Cyndy's lap, but did you notice how Allison kept vocal pace with Cyndy, and infused her own style into a song she probably barely knew....true artistry. LOVE Allison. Someone sign her!!
  • Kara in a bikini. I know this wasn't the highlight for some of you, and of course it was all totally scripted crap, but really...it was good finale TV! Love that she did it on a dare and the other judges will pony up for charity. And Bikini Girl has nothing on Kara in a bikini, Kara should not have been apologizing....she looked fab. Stop covering it up! It will disappear in no time....enjoy it while you can and quit apologizing!
  • Jason Mraz and the group number. Here's a guy nobody had heard of this time last year, and here he was on stage doing a fab song with the Top 13. Great song, great to see the top 13. Reminded me that Alexis was robbed of a top 10 spot!

  • David Cook's "Permanent". Bought this CD the day it came out last November, and promptly took a road trip with the fam. Knew hubby wouldn't listen to the entire CD, so selected my favorite 3 tracks. First was "Heroes", second was "Come Back to Me" and third was "Permanent." All that to say, I've always loved this song, and it was a true (unfortunate) privilege to hear David sing this for his brother.

    Other giggle moments for me: I love Justin Guarini! Ryan wearing Nick Mitchell's red headband and greasy glasses. The major censor during the Black Eyed Peas (even rebels KISS didn't get that). Steve Martin on banjo (yes, you read that right). Bo Bice in the house! And finally, the boring adjudicator who entered the stage with the results, and my sad realization that any man with a British accent someone seems more handsome and like he has more authority.....**sigh**.

    And I wouldn't call it a giggle moment, but after what I've read about Danny's Idol run this week following his ouster, I have a new found appreciation for the guy. In his exit interviews, he has basically admitted to being in over his head, that his Idol audition came too soon on the heels of his wife's death, that the Idol Powers That Be obviously saw a powerful back story and a guy who could sing, and thrust him forward through the machine....only he wasn't really ready, emotionally or spiritually. So for all of you who were feeling like Danny was exploiting his back story, it was Idol who was doing that because they saw dollar signs in him...just a thought....

    Now, here's hoping that Kris Allen is more David Cook-ish than Taylor Hicks-ish in his post-Idol career...congrats Kris!!

    1 comment:

    dear friend said...

    Although I believed that Adam was the most talented singer and performer throughout the competition, I went into the finals not really caring who won because I liked both Adam and Kris. In other words, I let go of my standards. This is ostensibly supposed to be a competition about who is the best singer (at least that is what the judges always declare). And none other than Kris Allen, the victor, reminded us of that when his first words were "Adam deserves this. I'm sorry."

    And with those words, which echoed my belief all along that Adam deserved to win, I left what was otherwise a generally entertaining show, feeling somewhat empty. Here is a show where people get to vote for the best. They don't have to vote for one to keep the other out, as is often the case in politics. Yet, I fear there was a lot of ballot box stuffing for Kris as a means to keep Adam from winning what he earned. Somehow that seems a little mean spirited to me and not in keeping with the spirit of a singing competition.

    Those that did so defend it on the basis that it was their way to beat the system's manipulation of us. Yet, all of this hand wringing among fans and the commentariat about the producers and judges manipulating us to pick their anointed one, Adam Lambert, revealed itself to be utter nonsense the moment Kris declared: "Adam deserves this. I'm sorry."

    The bottom line is that everyone associated with that show, from the producers, to the judges, to even the contestants!, had simply been doing nothing more than acknowledge objective truth: like him or not, Adam was the best and deserved to win. This has been obvious from day one.

    Kudos to Kris for his class and honesty. What better way to end a family show than with two fine gentlemen from what has been described as two different Americas who found a way not only to respect, but to love each other enough to root for the other one. These two fine young men are better than their adoring fans. That, and not their singing, is what makes them worthy of idolization.