Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Rock Week Highlights Credible Rockers

Going in to this week's Idol, you knew this genre favored some folks (Adam and Allison) over others (Kris and Danny). So, the question was, were the latter two able to pull surprising performances out of their comfort zone and stay in the competition?

The evening started off with announcements of an "accident" on set which had turned Idol topsy-turvy and indeed, had injured Idol's stage manager, Debbie Williams, who fell from the top of a flight of stairs, dangled from a railing, and dropped to the floor. She was taken to the hospital with injuries. I'm not sure how this relates to the upside down Idol globe that Ryan pointed out at the top of the hour....did Debbie so tumble that it made the sign collapse? or was there a southern California earthquake that the Powers That Be are hiding? Recovery wishes to Debbie, whatever the case may be.

Moving on, the four remaining Idols took the stage for introductions for Rock Week, and it was clear from this screen shot that there are only two credible rockers: Adam and Allison. I love me some Danny and Kris, but let's face it: they are Vanilla in a sea of Rocky Road, baby, and that begs the question, can they hang??

(Note to Slash: I like and respect you, but tonight it would be great for you to take your glasses off when you are talking to me, or discussing the Idol performances. K?)

Adam was first up singing Led Zeppelin, a first for American Idol, and for that reason alone, I applaud it. However, Adam's "Whole Lotta Love" left me with a whole lotta eeewww....I've made no secret that I'm not a Fambert....and tonight wasn't a conversion experience. I understand that Randy thought it would make me forget that Adam is really a Broadway performer (it didn't); that Kara thinks he should put out a Glam Rock a a la Bowie record (I don't disagree but I won't buy it); that Paula thought it was a Whole Lotta Perfect (um, not); and Simon thought nobody would be that good the rest of the night (was that because in addition to his perfect judge's skills he has clairvoyant abilities? Or because he sits through the dress rehearsals and knows precisely what each contestant will sing, thereby having a couple of hours to prepare his very pointed remarks?)

Allison tackled Janice's "Cry Baby" in a very energetic performance following an appointment with Adam's hairdresser (remember he is from LA). Is this foreshadowing the finale? Randy doesn't love it, neither does Kara, Paula thought it was a great job, and Simon thought it was "confident and terrific" but with no originality. Which leaves that pretty much wide open. I thought, to do a Randy, that she was da bomb on this one....loved her...but no one is safe.

Kris and Danny do the First-Ever Idol duet and I would not have chosen Styx (didn't realize there were even harmonies on that song, and I'm not sure they even qualify as Rock) but they do the best they can, and in the very short end, Simon pronounces Danny's performance better than Kris's. Ouch.
Speaking of whom, Kris chose for his solo performance the Beatles "Come Together." I enjoyed this performance but agree with Simon that it didn't leave me with anything....love Kris on the guitar tho! Randy thought he was "being himself", but Kara though he "tried too hard." I'm not sure Paula liked it...she said something about it being risky, but that Kris is an artist who is "deserving" so I think that means she liked it.

Danny got the pimp solo performance spot (interesting) but I'm afraid his "Dream On" won't land him his dream which is to be the American Idol 2009. Yo, Randy gave him an A for effort but noted that it wasn't Danny's genre (duh), Kara thought Danny took his swagger "a little too far," (what?) and Paula didn't think it was the right song choice. Simon's comment about horror films was just harsh! But it was awful, and made worse only by the fact that Slash pointed out that if Danny was going to do it, he had to do it right.....ouch.

Final performance was from our two resident rockers on Foghat's "Slow Ride." High energy and both are having fun...if you guys chose the song, I'll work with you...but geez. I would not have chosen this song. I can't honestly offer up a suggestion, though! Randy thought, yo, it was da bomb, Kara pronounced them Rock God and Goddess, and Paula said it was a "perfect marriage" (do they know Adam and Allison aren't on the same team??). Simon thinks this last performance will keep Allison in the competition another week.

Which means, bottom line: I love all four of these guys. If I HAVE to choose, the bottom 2 would probably be Kris and Danny, with Kris leaving tonight, although it depends how many fans of each come out in force....that is the wildcard (along with Allison's fans....)

Go buy Elliot's sophomore CD released today!

Bottom line? Adam safe. The others? I think they are all vulnerable! I think it is anyone of the other three to lose......

2 comments:

Lynn M said...

You honestly thought Danny's performance was better than Kris's and he deserves to stay while Kris should go? Just because the judges have an agenda doesn't make their rehearsed critiques true. Danny's "Dream On" is currently being discussed as possibly one of the worst Idol performances of all time! If he stays and Kris leaves, it goes to prove that this show has nothing to do with talent whatsoever. Adam and Allison have earned the right to stick around. So has Kris.

Idolmama said...

Lynn, thanks for your thoughtful comment! What my post left out was why I think Kris might (not should) be the one to go...because Danny (despite a poor performance) has that never-in-the-B3 momentum going and a H-U-G-E fan base that has never wavered, and because Allison got the Simon stamp of approval and will ride that Foghat duet with Adam into the Top 3...and because Kris, despite being hugely talented, might not have the fans in force that Danny has (but he should, I love him!) Sadly, they are all great but someone has to go....I hate when it gets down to the end! Thanks for reading!