Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Three Amigos Battle for Finale's Two Spots

According to most web polls, bloggers and Idol followers, Adam is a lock for next week's finale, and the only question is, will it be Kris or Danny who joins him? I saw spoilers about which songs the judges had chosen for each of them for tonight, but was totally mad curious about which songs they would each pick for themselves. Not to go all Kara, but the question of the day is, what kind of artist would each of these finalists be? I wanted to see this in their personal song choices tonight, and I'm not sure I did. The judges could feel the tension, obviously, as they were quite physical with each other all show long....sigh. They behaved like a bunch of 6th graders right before summer break! (can you tell where my mind is?)

The show opens.....Randy says DAWG and does his gang-ish hand gesture (check). Kara shows her armpit (check). Paula does her glamorous wave and looks giggly (check). Simon wears a grey or white t-shirt (check). We're ready to begin!

Danny goes first with Paula's pick for him, "Dance Little Sister" by Terence Trent D'Arby. I'm dating myself...remember the artist but not the song. Well, Danny d'Gokey did his thing and almost looks like Fantasia doing her rooster dance/strut. Randy said it was dope, Kara said the song was in Danny's "tonal money spot" but she thinks he gyrated too much, Paula thought he did really good and let the magic part of his vocal come out, and Simon thought the vocals were good but the dancing was "desperate." I didn't think it was magic, I thought it was shouty....and while I love the energy, I'm not loving Danny's opening.

His second song was much better, as he chose "You Are So Beautiful" and it was beautiful. There are a LOT of Danny haters out there, but I like his voice and enjoy his performances. Yes, this was his standard Church of Danny fare: slow, soft tender opening, followed by busting out loud, mad vocals, ending with tenderness. But it works, folks! Works for me, anyway! Randy pointed out that he really can sing (duh), Kara thought it was amazing, Paula felt like he infused his magic (wha?) and Simon pronounced it a "vocal masterclass." Wow. Paula is giving out lots of magic tonight.

Kris was in the sweet middle spot tonight, sweet guy that he is, with his parents (?) and wife in the audience. Clearly considered the underdog, Kris showed that he won't back down. Kara and Randy chose "Apologize" by One Republic, which he faithfully delivered, but then faced criticism from the judges who picked it for not changing the arrangement and making it his own, which Simon rightfully took great offense to. I was, frankly, bored with the song, fresh off David Archuleta's performance with One Republic themselves at last year's finale and wish they would have picked something else, even though I agree he was well-suited for it. Randy thought it was very nice, Kara called it confident but safe because he didn't make it his own, Paula pointed out his very prominent bum note but was still proud of him, and Simon as noted above pointed out the judge's cop out! I think they are both right ...Kris sang what the judges asked him to, but it would have been nice in this stage of the game to see Kris on acoustic guitar for this one.

And here is that guitar on Kris's personal choice of Kanye West's "Heartless", which was much more enjoyable. I am not familiar with the song, but Kris was able to pull me in and hold my attention, which I think Danny, in the same circumstances tonight, bordered on with his opening song. I think that Kris is in the pocket with this tonight, and it's just a matter of whether voters are, too. Randy thought it was better than the original, Kara called it perfect, Paula said it keeps him current, and Simon thinks despite Kris's first performance, this second one keeps him in the competition.

Adam goes last (big shock). When my copy of Entertainment Weekly came this week with Adam Lambert on the cover (the first time in the mag's history they have featured a just one contestant on the cover at this stage in the competition) I sighed. Despite Simon's admonitions at the close of tonight's show not to assume Adam will be safe, it's clear this guy is headed for the finale, and more than likely has the crown all wrapped up. I've made no secret on this blog that I'm not a fan (and been called out on that, thank you kind readers) but I'm sorry! I don't like his voice, I don't enjoy his performances.....so there. If you disagree, start your own flipping blog!

I LOVE U2 and was kind of sad when I found out Adam was doing the classic "One", and remembered Elliot (shout out!) in his performance with Mary J. Blige of this song in Season 5 (so did Simon really get two calls from Bono, or just a text the first time?). Didn't like this performance. I would call it, "U2: The Musical." All That Drama. It's actually a very tender and heartfelt lyric and Adam dragged, shouted and flounced it it all over the stage. I had to play the part twice where he actually sang "carry each other" with his tongue hanging out, almost like "Car-ytha-hter" or something like that. Didn't think that humanly possible. Randy said, yo, dude and didn't think it was in the zone, Kara called him a strategist (interesting word choice), Paula thought it was superb and pronounced she was looking at the next American Idol, and Simon thought it was brilliant. Hmmmph. Wonder what Bono thought? If anyone reads a reaction, send me to the link.

Adam closed the show with his personal pick, which is supposed to show me what kind of artist he would be post-Idol, and it's Aerosmith's "Cryin." I turned to my 9 year old son after the first few opening bars to ask, "Somebody else did this on Idol. Who was it?" to which he quickly replied, "Constantine." That's my boy! Raising him right....

I preferred Connie's version, actually. I just find it hard to believe that this theater guy would actually be a rocker. I just don't buy it. I also thought he was flat through lots of it, and screamy as usual. Randy said it was one of Adam's best performances "evah", Kara and Paula both said they would see Adam at the finale, and Simon said it was brilliant.
I think Danny has more fans to carry him to the finale, way more back story (and we know this is a significant factor due to this analysis) but that Kris is just as deserving as Danny to compete for the title. I think it's too close to call!

So, who do you think will be the final 2? Does sweet and modest Kris, the underdog, stand a chance against Danny the Back Story Giant? Will Adam wear nail polish to the finale? And most importantly, will you buy a CD that Adam puts out?

p.s. Thanks to a fellow Idol Blogger for the image this week! I hunted and hunted until I found hers. (Be sure to read her always-funny commentary!)


No comments: