Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Screamer Vs. Crooner in Idol Finale

Tonight really comes down to whether you like -- or do not like -- Adam Lambert, doesn't it? If you read this blog, you've caught on that I am not a fan. This is in no way a judgment of anything other than the way he sings, which is what this show is about. I don't like it, I am not alone in not liking it, and for this reason, I'm trying to vote for Kris as I write this blog (although happily all 3 lines of his are busy).

Overall, this wasn't one of my favorite Idol final performance nights, and for the most part, I am not emotionally attached to either contestant winning or losing. Either one can win and the world will go on (and so will American Idol). I'm exhausted from a season of manipulation, starting with Tatiana and and Norman Gentle; from constant judge pimping of Adam and Danny (despite mediocre performances, for the most part, and I'm a fan, people!); and from the whole she-bang just feeling bloated and irrelevant.

Tonight's performances were in 3 groups, 2 songs each. First group of songs were chosen by the contestants themselves as a favorite from the season; next were songs chosen not by Clive Davis of Sony Music Entertainment Worldwide fame but by Simon Fuller, Chief Executive of 19 Entertainment and creator of American Idol ; and the third song was that sappy ballad you've waited all season to hear, only this year (lucky us) it was co-written by our very own judge Kara (can't spell or pronounce her last name).

First songs up were no surprises, we've heard them both already this season. Adam's "Mad World" was Phantom of the Opera vs. Twilight according to Randy, and according to me it was what we'd already seen, with a little more attitude, since he'd read the blogs that people dug it the first time. He did have dry ice, though....and I'm buying the part about his being a hyperactive kid.

Kris does "Ain't No Sunshine," which was kind of a surprise since I would have loved to hear "Heartless" again, but kid is smart, he knows I just heard that last week. People are more familiar with this song even though it has only been done on Idol once before (Christina Christian in S2), so that may earn Kris points, and Simon's comment that Kris belongs in the finale won't hurt, either. And Kris has strings. Dry ice vs. strings? Tough call. Simon calls Round One to Kris. I don't know why they even do this.

Second set of songs are picks from Simon Fuller. Fuller picks "A Change is Gonna Come" from Sam Cooke for Adam. Considering this song came to exemplify the Civil Rights movement, I can't help but wonder what Fuller made of this choice. I of course found too much vibrato and screaming in Adam's performance, and thought the larger political message that Fuller may have wanted to use this song to convey was just too entirely cheesy (if in fact it was to highlight any analogies between the the race relations vs. sexual relations...if not, my humble apologies). Judges liked it (no surprise) and Paula even called Adam "iconic" which garnered a chuckle from me (inside joke).

Fuller's choice of the much more laid-back classic "What's Going On" for Kris fit my preferences more, but will that fit America's preference? I loved the bongos and the whole feel of this song, was tapping my toes like crazy and loving Kris and grooving on the purple light bath he was getting. Then Simon went all crazy on me to say that it was too laid back for a big show like tonight. Hmmm...maybe if Kris screamed it, Simon would have thought it was current and cool? And what about the comment about the choice for Kris being "socially conscious?" and Fuller's choice for Adam wasn't? Sheesh.

Here (or thereabouts) is where Randy pronounces that "we got ourselves a real live competition tonight" to make us think that it's still an open ball game. Round 2 goes to Adam (according to Simon).

Finally, the coronation song. Now, as a long-time watcher of Idol, I will admit that this is one of the more variable parts of the finale. There have been some years where I have just melted into a puddle of something for this song because it fit the winner perfectly (Kelly Clarkson's "Moment Like This", and Fantasia's "I Believe"), while there have been some years where I cringed (Reuben's "Flying without Wings" and of course Taylor Hicks "Do I Make You Proud?"). This year, they both sang the same song (something about mountains and hurricanes) and I honestly can't say I went either way, it was just there. Clearly, Kara and company have been writing this song for Adam even since they met him, but strangely, and perhaps unexpectedly, I think it favored Kris. Adam's version was totally "American Idol: The Musical"....oh, wait...maybe I'm watching Camp Rock on Disney Channel....oh, wait, snap -- I am on Fox after all! I am hating this song, and I'm not sure whether to blame it on Adam or Kara and her songwriting team yet, since Kris will do the same song.

Okay, it's Kara's fault. Kris's take more suits my taste, but it's still a crappy song. Nonetheless, I thought Kris's delivery was was smooth and sexy, and I could actually understand the lyrics being sung. I feel like Adam is there to create a mood, as a performer, through his clothing choice, lighting, vocal style....whereas Kris has a story to tell through his lyric. Either you are in the camp of the former, or the latter. Overall, I personally preferred Kris's version but think they both made the best of it.

Simon doesn't bother to call a winner for Round 3 because it's clear from all of the comments that Adam will win. Judges tell Adam he was exciting, original, a superstar. They tell Kris, good job, you surprised us, hope you had fun.

Meanwhile I'm still dialing all three of Kris's numbers and not getting through...

1 comment:

Lynn M said...

I like Adam Lambert, but I also like Kris. In fact, I thought I liked them both equally. But over the past weeks, something in my just couldn't stand the idea of Kris getting the Consolation Thanks-for-Playing edit.

I agree with you about this season being hyper-manipulated. So much so, I'm not sure that I'll be back next season. Because what could have redeemed the entire thing - letting Kris and Adam put on a really great finale - was completely blown by making those guys sing that crap coronation song. With them singing it as the last performance of the entire show, talk about ending on a bad note. I just wish TPTB would keep their hands off - let the guys pick an old song and a new song and have a go and then let the chips fall where they may.