Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Rock Week Unpredictably Ends Rocker Allison's Idol Run

I can't say I saw that coming. And I'm feeling very sad, for Allison, for all that she could have brought to the finale, and to the title of American Idol Season 8. But honestly? I don't think she could have won up against Adam for sure, and not even Danny.....Kris, maybe, but even that is a stretch. We heard from the judges last summer and fall that Season 8 was a "guy's" season, so it makes sense that the remaining gal left the competition tonight. I thought her exit song was all kinds of awesome and I know something big will come of all of this for her.....cue Daughtry. As if we could find a better success story from a fellow Exit-at-Fourth-Place contestant!

While I do adore Allison and think she is wildly talented, I can sort of see how she didn't quite get the fan base that the guys have...for one example, take my mother....she has watched AI since Season 2, and loves the show, but just couldn't get past Allison's pink hair, and I think Mom might not be the only one in that frame of mind. I can also see how Allison was kind of uni dimensional (rock) and was seen as less versatile. Well, when she makes a record, it will be one style and not all over the place, but anyhow....just thinking out loud and trying to make sense of her departure. :(

So then we have Danny, who despite delivering one of what may become one of the Worst Ever Idol Performances last night with "Dream On" is headed home to Milwaukee Friday for a hero's welcome. If this paper's predictions are correct, we will see a Danny-Adam finale, although Kris can't be counted out.

I don't even know what else to say about the rest of tonight's show....I am still feeling embarrassed for Paula. I FF through most of Gwen's performance, happy that she gets that the Stay At Home Mom gig is harder than it looks, but hasn't she been on Idol like, 85 times? and she relevant here singing an ancient song, because.....And the aforementioned Daughtry continues to impress, even though I wasn't a fan while he was on the show, he has set the standard for what former Idol contestants can achieve without having to win.

On to next week, with the hometown parades, and finally two performances from each contestant. Will Clive Davis be choosing again? I don't know, but I will be watching......

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Paula is such a slinky little cougar isn't she? Funny that this is a SINGING competition and she LIP SYNCHS her performance! Too much... but she looks damn good.
Glad Allison is gone... didn't do a darn thing for me and I agree that her exit song WAS all kinds of awesome. We shall see who is in the finale! Would love to see ADAM gone next week to make it a Danny v Kris showdown!