Wednesday, March 11, 2009

First Elimination: Jasmine and Jorge Get No Judge Love

I hate elimination nights. It is hard to sit and watch dreams be crushed, especially this season when it means that not only are you off the show but you have to pack your bags and leave the mansion! Awww....that will hurt. Not to mention the fact that Danny and Kris raided each other's closets with those plaid shirts!

A few thoughts.
Opening group number...I actually liked this one!! I guess it's the Jackson 5 thing (see yesterday's post) but I thought it was entirely less cheesy and irritating than most group numbers, even though they clearly lip-synch these things (annoying). I do admit to being distracted by Scott and where he was, what he was supposed to be doing etc. since he wasn't seated the entire time...have to be honest. Asked my kids if I should get pink highlights when I visit my stylist next week, and they all said no. HHHmmmph.

The announcement.....that the judges can this season invoke a "save" card just once for any contestant voted into the bottom in a particular week. This had been wildly speculated, and it addresses the various "outrage" eliminations that have occurred in previous seasons with Jennifer Hudson, Chris Daughtry, and others. I guess we are being scolded and told that we make mistakes sometimes, and so the judges/producers will correct us if they think we've voted mistakenly, and therefore further mold and shape the show and it's remaining contestants as they see fit....hhhmmm....as if they weren't molding and shaping enough already! I'm not sure I'm liking this.....but they weren't sure I would! Fair enough.

The eliminations....no real surprises to see Jasmine and Jorge leave us, and without being saved. Ouch, that has to hurt double-bad that you don't get the votes from the public, AND that the judges don't find you worth keeping around either (wasn't Simon particularly harsh on Jorge when asked if he was staying, with his curt and nonchalant "no"....) Notice served to Anoop and Megan, on the chopping block! Enjoy that bowling alley and jetted tub all you can this week...

Jasmine was a common thread in the bottom of the major rankings I checked this week, but Jorge was somewhat of a surprise. MSN.com ranked him #7 of the 13 finalists, so squarely in the middle, and according to them, Matt Giraud or Micheal Sarver should have left in his place. Similarly, Ew.com ranked Jorge 10th, while Micheal and Megan ranked lower. I was just happy to see Kris Allen remain....go Kris! I' m not sure the PTB planned on that....

The mansion.....it isn't just about the posh furniture, pools, entertainment gadgets galore....it's also about the fact that they are living together! Which is no small feat, and certainly adds a twist to this season ....it's Idol meets Bachelor meets Big Brother, meets Amazing Race to the finale? Probably best that there are only 2 ladies left :) We have a harder time co-habitating (flashbacks to my freshman dorm in college....yikes).
Kelly Clarkson.....chick is major talented, and I loved her performance. She will forever be the Uber Idol. Love that she is BACK and better than ever. I thought her exchange with Ryan was relaxed and clever, and cute and all things Kelly...welcome back. We love you!
Kanye....got nothing for ya. Skipped through his entire performance.
What do you think of this week's leavers? Do you think the new rules will be good for the show and are better for the contestants? And what did you make of Paula's TAT? (Don't even tell me you didn't see it :)

1 comment:

dear friend said...

Well, my prediction that Idol Nation would warm to Jorge and cool to Anoop over time was dead on arrival. What a shame. I was genuinely looking forward to a song sung in Spanish.

In any event, still don't get the Anoop thing. Cannot imagine ever buying his CD or wanting to pay to watch him "perform." Yes, Idol Mama, Kelly Clarkson is the Uber Idol. Can anyone really see Anoop growing into anything close to that??

I like the judge's save for it adds a little more drama to each results show (which is generally a waste of a good hour). It will be interesting to see if America spanks the judges by voting out the saved contestant (again) the very next week.

I was not surprised the save was not used last night because it is way too early in the competition. However, if Jorge offered hope of expanding Idol Nation into the Hispanic community, there was an argument for keeping him around a little longer. But my guess is that they already have a short list of their faves they will save and Jorge was just not on it. After all, how much thinking can Paula do in 2 minutes time. I mean, heaven forbid she ever has to review a performance out of turn again!

Finally, I find the mansion in poor taste given that the nation is in its worst economic catastrophe since the Great Depression. Nothing like Hollywood throwing it in our face that there will be no soup lines there (can't you just hear Paula declare "Let them eat cake"). I would think they want to tone down how absurdly wealthy this whole franchise is. In the meantime, encourage your Congressmen to keep bailing out Ford so they can keep producing those commercials with our tax dollars so that Fox can afford to house contestants in a mansion. Where are our priorities, America?!