Thursday, March 5, 2009

Top 13 Revealed!

I gotta admit, when they got down to the last spot and took a commercial break, and the last Top 12 spot was clearly between Anoop and Matt, I wondered how THAT was going to work out....only to have my TiVo cut out like the rest of you! Gggrrrgggg....ran to my computer to check the source of all Idol things, Mjsbigblog, and learned that they BOTH were through! Wow!

I think the Wild Card worked out perfectly, seeing that Tatiana didn't make it. We had all sworn off Idol had that happened, and probably lots of you did, too. Best of luck to her.

Jesse Langseth didn't do it for me....she definitely got the "wear a short skirt and show a little leg" memo, but it wasn't enough to overcome her "indulgence" as Simon put it. Likewise, Von Smith's audition was "ick" (those were my notes). Sorry, Von.

On the other hand, Poor Ricky Braddy...was this rigged before it even began? I dug his take on "Superstition" but then heard Simon call it "karaoke" and "clumsy"...were we hearing the same song? I guess there isn't enough back story or drama with Ricky, even though he's one of the best from Season 8, IMO.

Making it to the Top 13 were Matt Giraud, Megan Cokery, Jasmine Murray, and Anoop Desai. First off, Matt did a smoking version of an old Jackson 5 song, "Who's Loving You"...timely, given that just today Micheal Jackson announced a short London tour this July. Judges said Matt was "back" and had great vocals, only Simon compared him to Taylor Hicks at one point like that was a bad thing (does Simon forget already that Taylor WON?). I think Matt might stick around at least a couple of weeks, especially if there is a piano involved.

I have to be honest: I am not a Megan Cokery fan. Yes, she is "quirky" and certainly has visual appeal. She did well to channel one of the two great performances by Kat McFee ("Black Horse in the Cherry Tree") but I think Megan is a one trick horse....I don't think she is a great singer, and I don't think she has the depth she'll need to withstand theme week after theme week...but goshdarnit, Simon likes her so she is THRU.

Sweet Jasmine was invited back to the Wild Card for a reason, and I am not exactly sure what that reason was.....Young? Pretty? Talented? The judges had their reasons....and tonight, thankfully, Jasmine showed us. While the song stunk (Yes, it is Christina Aguilera, peeps, it's also from a Disney soundtrack!) she did a beautiful job and as Simon told her, she is pretty special! Again, don't know how much depth there is there.....but girl can sing, and hold a mic, and clearly has some emotional stability, so she's IN.

Poor Tatiana didn't even realize she was Top 12 cannon fodder. It was clear they brought her back tonight for the entertainment factor, and shame on them....and she wasn't up for the task, seeing that she sang the same song....(okay, Anoop did, too....but somehow her repeat rendition of her Top 36 song smacked of desperation). I really felt like she was shamelessly working the Puerto Rican thing by pulling out an accent we hadn't heard (called out by Paula, yay) and trying to capitalize on the Jorge factor. Boo on you, Tatiana! Amazing were the judges, scratching their heads as if to ask, how is this girl standing here? COMPLETELY FORGETTING THE FACT THAT THEY PUT HER THERE. Hhhmmmph.

Finally, Anoop got the biggest cheers of the evening and clearly has a massive fan base, although some don't yet know why....he may not have the best vocals, but we like him and can't wait to see what he brings.

On to the Top 12 !(I mean 13).....

3 comments:

dear friend said...

Dear Idolmamacita (when I am emotional, I think in Spanish). Ok, so that's not the truth. Nor was it for Tatiana when she said it (although I believe Jorge when he said it, and I love him; I predict that more current fans of Anoop will become Jorge fans than the other way around).

But I digress. Nor was last night's show true. Simon loves to call contestants out for being self-indulgent. Well, let me tell you that the Idol franchise was self-indulgent last night. So self-indulgent that they could not even conclude the show in the allotted time. So self-indulgent that they brought Tatiana back just for entertainment value. So self-indulgent that we had to endure another uncomfortable spat between Paula and Simon. So self-indulgent that we had to listen to performances that were meaningless because the die was cast long before the first note was sung. So self-indulgent that we had to see 4 hearts broken (again) after they were cruelly given false hope. One wonders how much ad revenue was generated from this gimmick.

I am not against the judges filling out the top 13. But they filled out the top 13, in their heads, before last night. Last night was about money, money, money. If only I had the discipline to boycott just one episode as payback for a wasted hour! But, alas, I do not. Sorry for the cynical post, but I'm just keeping it real.

Idolmama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Idolmama said...

Cynics welcome! I always enjoy your comments and hope they keep coming. In fact, they are so good they should be moved to the front page so others can enjoy them :)

Adios, muchacho! And hasta la vista :)