Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Top Performances from Three on Top Downloads Week

I thought tonight's was a great show! Honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect from this week's quite ambiguous theme of "most popular downloads" (mysteriously undefined) but understood that it was a chance for the contestants to have free reign (more so that any other theme week) to choose from a wide range of songs and showcase themselves. Tall order to fill.

(I wondered how/why they had come up with this "theme" until the idols stopped by one of Uncle Ryan's other places of employment, AKA the studios of "American Top 40", the radio program made famous by Casey Kasem and hosted by Seacrest since 2004. That cross-plug makes sense!)
In sum, three of the contestants had shining "Your Best Performance So Far" nights from the judges, three of them seemed to make good song choices and delivered good performances but had other issues, and three of them fell flat, making them vulnerable for tomorrow night's Bottom Three.
(David Spade in the house!)
According to the judges, best performances so far this season were delivered tonight by Danny, Scott and Kris. Danny stayed true to himself with his choice of a Rascal Flatts song (fellow Christian country-ish artists) with the heartfelt "What Hurts the Most". I happen to be a Rascal Flatts fan and love this song, and love Danny, making me really enjoy this performance, although I disagree that it was his best so far. He did get the "stool spot" with Ryan pre-performance and talked afterward as well. Gosh, I know many of you don't, but I like him!!
Scott, on the other hand, got heaps of praise for his (boring) rendition of Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are".....gosh, I hit the snooze button three times and when I woke up each time, he was STILL singing. It may very well have been his best vocal, but that ain't saying much.....guy's got to go. This guy has no star power at all and may as well be singing in a hotel lobby for me.
Kris, on the other hand, is a star in the making. I've had my eye on him since this thing began, and wow, they finally took him out of the middle and pimped him and it paid off. Loved, loved, loved his performance of "Ain't No Sunshine"....I think he was (is) better than Danny (eeeekk, did I just say that out loud?) and hope we get more of him!!!
Allison, Lil' and Adam were in the middle of the pack tonight. Good song choices and good performances, but each had "issues" and didn't deliver their personal bests tonight. First off, Allison's vocals on "Don't Speak" were wicked, I was just so wow'ed with the first half in particular, and the guitar was such a nice touch. This girl is soooooo good. I disagreed with the judge's critique of her outfit, I liked it and didn't think it half as bad as they made it out to be.
Lil, again, kind of disappointed. First of all, she looked so matronly and about 53 in that wig and dress instead of the incredibly young 23 that she is....who is styling her? Vocals on "I Surrender" were pretty good, it's Celine, for cryin' out loud, most idols shouldn't even go there....BUT....it was pretty boring for me, and I fear she is surrendering her lead on idol. I had to agree with Simon that her personality is being sucked out of her and with Paula that she has been too adult contemporary. Hope she can regroup STAT! Kids are cute though, and it tugged at my mommy strings to see her tears. I know she misses them and was glad Randy gave the one a big ole' bear hug!
Adam was so impressive last week, and so didn't expect him to break it out da box two weeks in a row. He held steady with an interesting take on Wild Cherry's "Play that Funky Music White Boy" but I wasn't digging it. True to Adam , he screamed and screeched far too much of it for my taste, but I did like the light show and appreciated his props to Rickey and the band, which was classy.
(Mandisa in the house!)
Poor song choices coupled with poor performances did Anoop, Megan and Matt in tonight. Anoop is just showing his colors in this competition, I'm afraid his 1st performance spot also did him no favors. Usher's "All Caught Up" just wasn't a great choice for him, and I'm thinking he really isn't meant to be an R & B artist....maybe economics is a better choice! Megan, what else to say? Her vocals were better this week than last, but "Turn Your Lights Down Low" should be read as, Lights out, Megan! And poor Matt....talented guy who is just struggling to connect with voters and more importantly with himself. His song choice made sense on paper but was a disaster in person. The Fray's "You Found Me" (which I've actually heard before! Yay me!) was just all over the place....poor guy.....danger, Will Robinson. I think he's waaay better than Megan but she has fans....
What did you think? Do you think it will be Megan or Scott to go home this this week, or will Matt come up short in the votes? And more importantly, is there a place for Kris in the Top 4 in place of either Danny, Adam, Lil or Allison?


1 comment:

dear friend said...

In the spirit of Kara, I have one word for last night's show: "boring." (Or is that two words?)

Randy's criticism of Megan applied to most of the show: "It was like watching paint dry."

I am with Kara: what excites me the most about tuning in the show is waiting to see what Adam will do next. His second or third best is still leagues ahead of the others.

And, yes, Idol Mama, Kris is better than Danny.

Last year it was all David versus David. This year it will very quickly become Adam versus Kris if the others don't step it up by about 10 notches. Allison and Danny have the best chance to unseat Adam and Kris. The others have peaked. Megan and Matt are too self-indulgent and just can't find a way to connect with the audience on a regular basis. Lil has pipes but no artistry or creativity. I have never understood the Anoop thing. And if I want to hear a guy sing a Billy Joel song at the piano, I will listen to Billy Joel, not Scott. His voice is nasally and he is boring.

Unfortunately, boring was not in short supply last night! Thank you, Adam, for waking me up from my snooze and thank you, Kris, for delivering a moving and professional performance (loved the strings on stage!)