Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Grand Ole Country

Got a sick kid in the house tonight, so have to be brief! Playing nursemaid trumps Idol blogging....

Country week on Idol wasn't quite the train wreck it could have been with this crop, and in fact, wasn't bad...there were a couple of downright great performances and a mess of very solid ones, with only a couple that fell flat for me.

I didn't absolutely love anyone tonight, but I enjoyed Danny and Anoop the most. Course, I like Danny anyhow, and he didn't heed my advice to avoid songs from Carrie Underwood's songbook, but he managed to pull out the Church of Danny with "Jesus, Take the Wheel" and make me a believer by the end. Similarly, Anoop brought it BACK tonight. Willie would be proud to hear "You're Always On My Mind" the way Anoop Dawg did. He really does have a lovely voice and he's assured himself a spot on tour with tonight's performance.

Solidly in the middle were pretty much everyone else, with a couple of exceptions. Allison's "Blame It On Your Heart" was good, all things considering, but I'm not sure tonight won her any new fans given that most others were just as good, if not better. Kris Allen's "To Make You Feel My Love" was full of tender moments, as Randy noted, and I liked it, and agree with Simon that he's a dark horse. Lil's "Independence Day" came no where near Carrie's, but it was serviceable...she's safe, but it wasn't her best week. Same with Alexis.... I liked Brooke White's version of "Jolene" better, and it seemed a safe choice. And I know I'm in the minority here, but I didn't love Matt on the piano doing Carrie's "So Small"...great song, but I wish they would have stayed acoustic for the whole song and not just the first half...and well, for some reason, I'm just not warming to this guy.

Must make a special paragraph for Adam and Megan. First off, Adam is certainly shaking up the Idol machine this season and taking viewers where I don't think we've ever been....I was tickled with his interview with Randy before his performance, and my mouth hung open through most of his interpretation of Cash's "Ring of Fire", complete with Wall! Of! Flames!....but after watching again, I realized that even though I am STILL not a fan of his, I reluctantly agreed with Randy that it was current and hip.

Megan looked gorgeous and I would have never guessed she's been seriously ill this week....and while I think "I Go Walking After Midnight" was as good a song choice for her as it could be, I recall the poem my Grandma used to tell me, something about.....her vocals are good when they are very very good, but when they are bad, they are horrid. She will stay this week, though, on the strength of that dress alone, the fact that she performed later in the show and will stay on voter's minds, and because being sick always brings out the sympathy vote.

Bottom two for me this week are Micheal Sarver and Scott McIntyre. Yes, Micheal's rousing "Ain't Going Down Til the Sun Comes Up" Garth impersonation was serviceable and there was nothing really wrong with it, but it just didn't stand out...and was kinda karaoke. And going first is never good. And course Scott is a likable guy and his life will likely change for the better after his Idol run, no matter how long it goes on from here, I just don't think he stands out as a vocalist. I actually think he's a bit boring.

Thanks for your comments! Keep them coming...

2 comments:

dear friend said...

I am with you this week, Idol Mama! While I can't say that I was entertained by Adam's performance, I admired his skills as a vocalist and his artistry. He is relevant and current, and knows who he is as a performer. After 8 years of this show, he is a much needed breath of fresh air and, in my humble opinion, in a league of his own. And I greatly respect him for sticking to his guns without copping any attitude with Randy Travis. He remained respectful but resolute. That will take him far with the judges and their save card, although I don't think he will need to rely on the judge's save to survive.

Megan is also wonderfully special. She is beautiful and has a unique voice. Can you imagine how great that performance would have been had she not been sick? Mercy. She will not win this thing, but with the right help, she will make a great record that won't top any charts but will find a welcoming audience. For those of us in Chicago, can't you picture her performing at a venue like the Vic Theater, which has cabaret style seating. Now that's a show I would attend, front row and center, with diamond ring in my pocket!!

It is time for Michael and Scott to go. Both very nice and genuine, but there is not enough there vocally.

Now, if I had to disagree with you on one thing, it would be putting Kris and Allison solidly in the middle. I think Kris was outstanding yesterday, and I think that Allison also gave a standout performance. But it is clear to me that Kris is not a judge favorite. As good as Anoop and Matt were yesterday, they were not better than Kris. While the judges gave Kris his props, their over enthusiasm for Anoop and Matt is their way of getting out the vote for them and perhaps tipping their hand that they would save one of these two. Which makes sense, I suppose, since they saved each of these guys once already, haven't they?

idolfan4ever said...

Hi Idolmama, thanks for the great recap, despite having a sick one at home! I am a day late in my responses to Wednesday night--but right on time with tonights!

I have to say--Allison is one of my absolute favorites--so I was shocked when she was in the bottom 3. Her voice and poise at her young age are amazing. She always keeps true to herself and I just love everything about her. Michael is so likable, but so forgetable at times. Alexis was a bit of a surprise--but her performance was pitchy in parts and despite her strong vocals-not a big surprise.

Adam, Adam, Adam, I thought David Cook was the master at taking some risks. At one point I thought he was going to grow horns in the middle of the song. Loved Randy's comment that it was the Nine Inch Nails version of Johnny Cash. I do appreciate the risk he took and the fact he was certainly true to himself and very current. My only regret is that I was not a fly on wall in your house Idolmama as you watched him last night!

I have to say, I was really impressed by just about everyone on Wednesday night. This is a strong group that held up well in the face of country western music.
Matt, should have his own contract by now, the guy is a natural. Megan, the beauty she is--love the range of notes she hits and sneaks into each song. For me, she is this seasons Brooke White in a funky kind of way.
Go Anoop Dog! Thank God for second chances!
Lil--so amazing and polished as a performer and with her style. Scott is amazing and inspiring --but not sure the vocals are going to carry him much further in this competition. Danny, great stage presence and voice. That guy seems to change his glasses like he does his underwear--doesn't he? Well, maybe not that frequently.

OK JUDGES-- you are getting on my last nerve. Simon and Paula --stop the fighting. You are turning into an old married couple before our eyes. Enough already. And Simon, you were way too British Wednesday night. I can only tolerate hearing the word "rubbish" once, maybe twice in a lifetime. And Simon remember, it's LIL, and that is not short for Little. Please oh please don't say that again.

Until next Wednesday....