Monday, March 16, 2009

Opry Suggestions for the Top 11

I thought I would take a stab at suggesting songs for the Idol hopefuls to sing during this week's tribute to the Grand Ole Opry. Country week has typically been kind to the contestants, I'd say....and usually has a few surprises in store. And overall, the Idol franchise has been kind to Idol graduates, like Bucky Covington, Kellie Pickler, Josh Gracin....very excited to have Carrie Underwood performing with Randy Travis in a duet of his beautiful "I Told You So" from her latest CD. If you haven't heard this song, you're in for a real treat. Wow. This is country music at it's absolute finest.


On that note, I'll start by saying that as tempting as it will be, I don't think any of the Idols should attempt any hits of Carrie's. First off, she's on the show, peeps! And second, you really just shouldn't Go There because like Whitney and Celine and Mariah, etc. you can't match the original. Unless Danny wants to strip it down and remake it into something new, a la David Cook.....well, I'd be aiiiight with that. Otherwise, there are pla-enty of other tunes to choose from.


Now that I've gotten that out of the way, on to my suggestions, in no particular order:


Micheal Sarver should sing George Jones' "She Thinks I Still Care." GREAT song, and not too terribly country....James Taylor covered it, and he's not country. Sarver has said he's really not much into country music so this is an easy way out, sing a crowd-pleaser...might need it this week. Never done on Idol, either, so he could carve his own piece of history!


Matt Giraud should sing "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry". Pretty smooth song that might finally showcase his vocals, and I'd like the piano on this one, too. Also never done on Idol.

Lil Rounds is a tough one....she's got chops, but maybe not the country kind?! I pick for her the Dolly Parton classic "Here You Come Again." Delicate yet strong, and will give Lil the chance to carry a sweet melody. Yes, I know Carly did a really touching version of this just last season, but I think Lil and Carly are different enough that they can each make their own impact.

Alexis Grace has lots of options...but I choose Patsy Cline's "Crazy"....I'll bet the gals and gents will be fightin' over this one, such an awesome song for so many reasons, but only Alexis can pull it off. This song has been done on Idol, but never in the top 12-ish.

Danny Gokey can sing the phone book, I do believe, BUT I'd rather hear him sing something I like :) so I would like to hear him sing "I Still Believe In You" by Vince Gill. I think it is in keeping with his previous song choices in terms of meaning, and Vinnie is a swell guy. Would show us the softer side of Danny, and no dancing required :)

Scott McIntyre was a tough one for me. I finally came up with "Anyway" by Martina McBride. Yes, I know this song has been covered on Idol (most recently by Kristy Lee Cook on Season 7, but was also performed live by Martina herself the week she was a mentor). It has the piano rift and the sensational message Scott is known for.

I choose "Shameless" for Kris Allen. I fell in love with this song when Billy Joel first recorded it , and dig Garth's cover. It's a man's song, and since the ladies dig Kris, that will work to his advantage. Plus, it's never been done on Idol before! Bring it on and set the standard, Kris!

I'm sorry, cheap shot: want Adam Lambert to do "Stand By Your Man." Whatevs.

Anoop Desai has some big shoes to fill this week, since America (and me) are starting to fall out of favor with him. I found it tough to pick an Opry song I could really see him going the millionpercentyes with ....so I'll have to go with another Garth tune, "Friends in Low Places." I know, drunk frat boys usually sing this one, but everyone knows it, it's fun to sing along, and that alone could score Anoop some calls and keep him alive this week.

This is also somewhat of a cheap shot, but then again, I can totally see Megan Corkery choosing Terri Clark's "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" for this week.

Finally, the number every one of them wants to do this week should be done by Allison Irehata: Trisha Yearwood's "How Do I Live" (also covered beautifully by LeAnn Rimes). Gorgeous song, and Allison is in the unique position to be able to deliver the notes, but also add the heart to this song. May just be the surprise of the night!














1 comment:

Rachel said...

You mentioned Bucky Covington. I wish we would get to see him come back and perform on Idol. Speaking of Bucky, he’s got a new single, I Want My Life Back that is due out the first part of April. I can’t wait to hear it on the radio!