Monday, March 30, 2009

Top Download Week Thoughts

Okay, I'll be honest....I don't know what the Idols should sing this week for the somewhat wide open "top downloads" theme....I have to admit, I love music, but I'm not so much into downloading. Yes, that means I still have the peach crate full of albums that my husband threatens to get rid of every other year or so that has followed us through 9 moves in 17 years. I have an iPod and know how iTunes works. But I also bought both Davids on CD. Admittedly, I am slow to new mediums. I see the value in my space-challenged apartment to digital music, but still must read liner notes, production credits, who played which instrument on what track, and who penned each tune and where it was recorded.....and of course appreciate the Almighty Album Cover, so haven't done much downloading since 2005 or whenever this thing really took off.

That said, Scott is in danger, no matter the theme. Idol Chatter ranks him 8th of the 9 remaining contestants (Megan comes in at 9th) and Entertainment Weekly's Power List from last week had him at number 10 of 10, unchanged from the week before. I mean no disrespect, I just think he's the weakest link. It could be an all-piano soft ballad Barry Manilow week and this guy would tank.

Of course, Megan is also near the bottom no matter what she sings. The girl just isn't good enough.

Needing to bring it full throttle to stay in the game are Kris lack-of-producer-support Allen, Anoop BBQ-loving-geek Desai, and Matt distracting-mole Giraud. (There, I said it.) Not to say that they aren't talented! And they have come far in this competition and each brings something to the Idol table....but they are faltering.

Top 4 for sure are Lil, Danny, Adam and Allison, although each of them, too, has challenges this week. Top-seeded Adam broke away from his freaked out thing last week long enough to bring Middle America something we could embrace....a tender performance of a Motown classic, complete with classy look. The challenge for him this week is to bring something else that housewives and retired postal workers in Des Moines can enjoy without alienating those who enjoy black nail polish, guyliner, screaming (AKA falsettos), and "current" stuff.

Danny (dubbed on the Web as Hokey Gokey, LOL) has stumbled the last couple of weeks, and I was shocked to see that the above-mentioned USA today ranking has him at #7 of the 9! Reasons vary, but make sense (check the article). Watch out Danny!

Lil has also stumbled the last week and also has a pivotal week ahead. Folks are suggesting she do Rhianna to show that she can be a contemporary recording artist, and I agree with that. We know she can sing, but to paraphrase the judges, it's time to see what kind of record she would make.

Allison falls into the same category. Bottom 3 to top 3 from one week to the next, the public is fickle, for sure. We know she is mad talented, but again, who is she as an artist? On the American Idol website, she lists Pink, Beck, Katy Perry, Mariah Carey, and Heart as her "musical influences".... a diverse bunch that doesn't spell one particular genre. Could spell danger for her on Idol. Pull it together, Allison!

No matter what, I will be watching and sending you my opinions after the show! And I hope you share yours here....

No comments: