Thursday, March 26, 2009

Motown Week Result Ramblings

I wasn't at all surprised by tonight's results, were you? Micheal is a nice guy and has a decent voice, just not one that can stand up to this season's competition. Best to you and your beautiful family!

I don't have much to say, just a few random thoughts.....

1. America got it right this week. And not just because I predicted Micheal in the bottom 3, but because it makes sense. How Matt Giraud got there, I don't know...he had heaps of judge's praise, but maybe I'm not the only viewer who just hasn't connected to him yet this season. There is just something off about him....for me, anyway. I could clearly sense the shock in his face as he sat on the Silver Stool of Doom. But refreshing to be reminded that, YES -- the voting public does the right thing, occasionally! Meanwhile, Megan is the luckiest girl on Earth...

2. Stevie Wonder is a National Treasure. I know his songs have been done to death on Idol, and I can see that he has gained a bunch of weight and the years have added puff to his stuff....but gee whiz, the man is dope talented and still brings it each and every time, one million percent yes. I just loved the judges enjoying the performance, for real, and watching the contestants listen to Stevie. We're used to seeing Paula cut loose :) but Kara really let go, I think for the first time.
Frankly, I was amazed to see which of the contestants knew the words and who didn't....golden props to Anoop, who has new points in my book for both singing along, and for being caught on camera at one point clearly saying, "Oh, my gosh..." to being 20 feet from a living legend....keep keeping it real, Anoop. Contrast to Adam, who clapped along awkwardly, and looked as though he'd never even heard of Stevie Wonder, let alone heard any of his songs. HHHmmmph. And the the girls, Megan and Allison, pretty much throwing paper airplanes in the back of science class and goofing off as if there was nothing to be learned or enjoyed. Ladies, pay attention! Stevie is in the house!

3. The Judge's Save is a Ball of Crap. It's pretty clear, even with 9 contestants remaining, that the so-called "Judge's Save" should really be called the "Keep Adam, Danny or Lil in the Finals as Necessary Move" because those are the only folks who are going to get it, and only in weeks 7 or 6....in other words, at the virtual last minute, and not now, and not for Alexis or Micheal or Megan, or Kris, or Anoop, or for Matt and maybe not even for Allison, if it looks like the public doesn't embrace her. And the antics at the judge's table during Micheal's final performance were despicable. Maybe even Oscar-worthy. I was embarrassed for them, and for the franchise, and a bit sick to my stomach, watching them "debate" and claim they had not yet reached a verdict, declaring that his performance was really good....plu-ease. That is a total mockery of All Things Idol.
Rumor is that next week's theme is iTunes.... not sure what to make of that. Will keep you posted!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your ramblings. While I was shocked that Matt was in the Bottom 3 (as opposed to Megan, who DEFINITELY should've been there), I, too, haven't really connected with him. He actually seems a bit conceited, but that's just a feeling with not much "evidence" to back it up.

I had to point out, though, that Adam WAS singing along to Stevie, at least early on when we actually had any close shots of him. As long as the contestants are respectful (I agree that Megan, maybe not so much here, but Allison is only sixteen so I'll give her a break), it's reasonable that some will be more excited about/familiar with the music of certain performers than others, based upon their own musical tastes and experiences. It makes sense to me that Anoop was likely the most excited of the bunch. Stevie's music seems right up his alley.

Idolmama said...

Thanks for your comment. I must have missed Adam's Stevie stuff. And I'm not the only one on a limb with Matt?! Phew.

Thanks for reading!