Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Best and the Rest....Idol Leftovers

Ah, gotta love the compilation show of this-n-that to wrap up auditions and tide us over 'til Hollywood. While I am ready to move forward, tonight was bittersweet....the auditions are, well, kinda something special! Or not! It's all bundled up, and you just don't know what you'll get....I'm a sucker for the montage, the backstory, the long lines and sweeping aerial views, group sings, and geography and history lessons for each city.....all that disappears next week as we begin the Hollywood phase of Idol competition which (hopefully) rests more on vocal performance (with just a little glitz, glam and backstory).

Tonight for me was like the marshmallows in my kid's Lucky Charms....you know you shouldn't eat them because they aren't good for you, but they are truly the best thing in the bowl. We've been shown nearly 10 hours of audition footage and have pretty much seen all there is to see, or had we? Knowing this was the last of the auditions made them extra sweet. And the producers saved us some extra sweet bites tonight that we had not yet seen.

One of those was Chikezie Eze. I really liked him, and sadly don't remember him at all from last year. Maybe it's because I have a soft spot for Luther Vandross, and for smooth, velvet voices that take me somewhere lovely and romantic...but I liked him and I'm glad they put him through. Likewise, I liked Danny Noreiga even though our household was split on this one. He's got that Clay-Aiken-I-Don't-Sound-Like-I-Look thing going, and certainly confidence will get you everywhere in this game (unless you have too much). Plus, he's got Hollywood experience...I think that will matter.

The Three's Company shtick made me nostalgically chuckle only because I watched that show eons ago and had forgotten about it.....but it made me miss John Ritter...otherwise an eye candy filler. I swore under my breath that if they put any of Three's Company through to Hollywood I would start collecting my fingernails in a bag.

Just kidding!

Cordin and Joanne split the judges 2-1, and in both cases Simon was the one to say no, leaving it up to Paula and Randy. I don't know what's up with that. (I thought Cordin was way better than Amy Davis, the one who showed up -- basically -- in her underwear, describing herself as having come from the "lower than lower middle class"....and despite having mediocre vocals got the Golden Ticket anyhow with a thumbs up from Simon.)

I liked Joanne a lot and can't wait to hear more from her, couldn't understand Simon's no vote...I thought she was beautiful and poised and had a great voice, can't wait to see what comes next for her. Go Mandisa 2.0!

I will finally mention the Dolly Parton wanna-be (well, that is a stretch, since she didn't know that was what she should be until the judges suggested it). That was just plain comedy. Simon did NOT think she could sing, and when she came back in and pulled off "Islands in the Stream" like a semi-pro, even he couldn't ignore her...I was just distracted by her hair, were they extensions? Inquiring minds....anyway, she won't survive Hollywood but she'll have a fun time texting home about it.

Out of 7 cities nationwide and over 100,000 auditioners, we have 164 Idol hopefuls descending on Hollywood for another chance to impress and hopefully make it to the Top 24....I know there are dozens of spoilers out there, but I have resisted....THIS is American Idol!

No comments: