Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Top 24 Revealed (For Sure)

Funny thing happened on the way to watching tonight's cliffhanger (not!). I had settled all household matters with usual Idol urgency (except the 102+ degree fever that has plagued one offspring for several days now) so didn't get around to actually watching until a couple of hours post-broadcast. Eagerly, but wearily, I settled in, glass of Chardonnay in hand, with anticipation and excitement...only to find out that my recording of tonight's show was done without any sound. Mind you, I DVR on a daily basis, and this has never happened. We spent 30 minutes on the phone with [satellite provider who shall remain nameless] only to realize that nothing could be done.

The first half of the show found us using whatever lipreading skills we had (limited) and making up storylines.....enough said. Not too much, therefore, to report on this half, other than the fact that the judges really have such Poker Faces for the contestant's long walks to the cheap chair, and up and until the verdict is rendered....sooooo much more obvious when you can't hear them talk. It also seemed like Paula was doing most of the talking! And Simon the least. No surprises for me on those who made it. I could pretty much tell just from the visuals, and there didn't seem to be any surprises.

Then, a miracle occurred....the sound suddenly came back on during the piece on the Hottie Aussie Micheal Johns....and stayed on for the rest of the show. Yea! And I wondered if that was somehow prophetic...in a juvenile sort of way....and then I let that thought go.

Only three "surprises" or upsets, if you will....the first being Josiah. The build up on him was such that I expected him to go through. At the expense of whom, however, I am not certain. In the end, the kid is 18 years old, and I have a feeling we will see him again next year.

The only other "upset" was with the final set up with the one spot but two people left thing that they do....I really don't like that. First of all, it makes it look like the judges actually had to _choose_ between those two specific contestants when in fact, it's all orchestrated to create the most drama....set up the final spot decided between two contestants we could equally root for, to make us really uncomfortable....ick. Shame on them. It also makes it impossible for the chosen one to really let go and celebrate, and feel good about being chosen since they have to share the same space with the loser.....the long walk, the camera time....Simon's line to the ladies about sharing the elevator was classic.

I was less surprised to see Kyle "Glee Club" Ensley not get the Top 24 than Cardin...but at the same time, I think Kyle could have surprised us with the most improved award at the end of the day...he had the most room for growth, would have been fun to watch, and he's just so dang happy! Simon's praise to him in parting was awesome, and Kyle, I hope you realize that Simon doesn't just say stuff to people to say it! Cardin, on the other hand, perhaps looked a little too professional to the judges? with more to gain from Idol than Idol from her....and I saw Haley Scarnato 2.0 and wasn't impressed. Joanne has something untapped and fresh about her, and I think the judges saw that. In either case, I don't see either of these ladies making the Top 6 girls.

I'm ashamed to admit (or am I?) that there were 5 faces with names I really didn't know much about or remember from auditions from tonight's Top 24: Garrett, Luke, Amy, Alaina, and Jason. I'm hoping it's just because they didn't get much screen time since I'm fairly attentive :) Although history would suggest these are the first to go.

What do you think? Did you have a favorite left out of tonight's Top 24? Did Paula do most of the talking? Was Brooke the nanny really saying, "Yes! I don't have to change diapers for a while now" when I couldn't hear her?

And if you can identify for me the exit song they are playing this year so far....something about putting on your Blue Jeans....could you write me and let me know what song it is? I would appreciate it :)

p.s. what happened to Samantha Sidley, the Nora Jones jazz singer?? Did I miss something?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Idolmama -- you really need a back-up plan when your DVR fails you.. Your readers can't afford for this sort of catastrophe. Perhaps a good friend, with a soft sofa, and plenty of candy, could help out in such a situation ;) Bottom line.. don't let it happen again.
On to more important stuff... How much does everyone love 16 yr old David A??? Put me down as picking him to take it all!!

Anonymous said...

BRING JOSIAH BACK!!!!! What an outrage that the GEEK got the spot, isn't there a show made just for guys like him where they date a supermodel or something. Pleeeeeaaasse.

Idolmama said...

I agree that Josiah was a compelling contestant and I would love to see him again next year...but what GEEK are you referring to?

Anonymous said...

I haven't watched it yet, it's on my DVR. But just by your description of the closing song, it sounds like it could be "Blue Jeans" by Keith Urban.

Idolmama said...

Actually, I found out today that the the song is by a debut artist named Ferras (one name only) and the song is called "Hollywood's Not America", apparently now available on iTunes!