Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Top Ten Ladies

As I sit down to write this recap, I feel a bit like the ladies seem to have felt: scattered, unfocused, and scrambling for a theme, a vision, an identity for tonight.... a shtick as it were.

I had high hopes for the Top 10 Ladies tonight, what with 70's night and all....and sadly, I was a bit disappointed. There were no high points, no breakouts, no star search moments for me. The theme tonight wasn't "70's" after all, but seemed to be "Poor Song Choice" when you replay the judge's comments, and a couple of the gals, while talented singers, are clearly struggling in this competition which involves more than just singing.

The only contestant who seemed to get it right (Good Singer, Right Song) was Nanny Brooke, who covered Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" while accompanying herself on the guitar. I still find her to be a thin performer and singer (and not just in the literal sense) and thought she was overpraised, but relatively speaking, she done good. I loved, again, how she thanked the band....only a musician has the awareness of what it takes to back someone up like Ricky Minor does week after week (I'm going to devote a blog to him soon, he's quite a cool cat)...

Most of the rest fell into the (Good Singer, Wrong Song) category tonight. For starters, Carly was out of breath, and the whole performance just didn't fall together for me. I agree with Simon, I've not connected with this gal, and since I'm the minivan driving mom of three, I'm betting lots of America hasn't either! I also question someones favorite song if it's Heart....just sayin'......I think her performance was kind of boring, and sadly, so was she.

Syesha is clearly a good singer and decent performer, but I'm not a fan yet. Call me crazy, but I need a little humility from my superstars, not footage of the commercial they shot on the beach and them getting professional hair and make up. She does have a beautiful voice, acting ability and star power, but so did Tamyra Gray, and where did that get her?

Ramiele was adorable and is a better singer than tonight showcased. Likewise, Kristy looked fabulous but just didn't win me over on Linda Ronstadt's classic "You're No Good". To Kristy's credit, she didn't do those freaky eye things that she did last week (we'll chalk those up to the flu) and I have to agree that if she sticks around another week, I'm ready for the country girl to step up.

Also in the Good Singer, Wrong Song category tonight were Alaina, Alexandrea, Kady and Asia'h. I actually liked the Grease cover from Alaina and think she is very good....when she was talking about her food not touching, my kindergartner turned and said to me, "See, Mom, even big kids do that!" which made the evening worthwhile! It really was nothing new, but it was nicely done. Alexandrea chose Chicago's "If You Leave Me Now" which may be prophetic, and I thought it was pretty good, but she looked so downtrodden afterward that even my own shoulders sunk. Her outfit was cute and spunky and youthful, and didn't match the song at all. Simon acknowledged that she is "struggling" and that didn't help. Kady is perhaps a better opera than pop singer. I think she could capitalize on Paul Potts' success and drop out of AI7 and immediately sign with Simon. Finally, one of my favorites closed the show, Asia'h, and clearly she has been sick. Perhaps,too, a bit of overconfidence led to her choice of song ("All By Myself") and she did struggle...but no matter what Simon says, she is not in danger this week, that's why they gave her the pimp spot of the night :)

The lone singer in tonight's (Bad Singer, Wrong Song) category was Amanda. I was worried about her all week after her showing in last week's bottom two, and thought it unjust. I take that back: tonight did her no favors. First of all, that freaky hairstyle and outfit did nothing for the voting sector in middle America. It was, as my husband called it, the Bride of Frankenstein look and it won't win votes. But more importantly, her voice just didn't sound good. She struggled to make the notes, was out of breath for most of the song, and just worked at it a little too much.

Predictions? Amanda for sure, and other than her, I'd have to guess that either Kady, Kristy or Alexandrea have reached the end of their Idol road...stay tuned...

No comments: