Thursday, February 21, 2008

First Semi-Finals Elimination Re-Cap

Tonight's show opened with banter between Ryan and judges which appeared to me to be a light-hearted effort to address all of the critical press about the previous professional experience of many of this season's Top 24 (Carly and Michael Johns in particular). It was a little too light-hearted for me, not much 'splaining got done, but at least they are listening! I also found it interesting that they used a Daughtry track for the Top 24 montage background....dude must be a little gratified (not as much as those 4 Grammy nominations, but still....) Twenty-eight million votes! That has to be a record for semi-finals week 1, no?

No surprise with Garrett, although I thought it possible for him to get the teen vote, which obviously didn't go to Colton, either. (Colton should pursue theater.) I thought Garrett's exit performance was better than the competition version, which I must say happens a lot, and it's unfortunate. Would it have made a difference tonight with Garrett? No, I don't think so...but you sure want to give you best when you have the chance and not after, duh!

Same thing with Joanne....her parting performance tonight was better than what she offered last night. I don't think Amanda deserved to stand up there with her....but she did. Stranger things have happened. Amy's exit performance reminded me that she needed to go, and even though she was ready to cry, she managed to hold it together. I'm pretty sure I would collapse into a gooey puddle were it me, so I really admire those who can stand there, chin up, smile, and sing one last time. Good luck with that trade show modeling! (whatever that is)

I'm sure you noticed, too, that they have given the accompanying relations/supporters of the dearly departed a new, special farewell viewing spot on the balcony this season. But that number is clearly limited to two...we'd be drawing furious straws in my family, dawg!

Another question for you.....when remaining contestants cry at the announcement of who is going home, are they crying because they a) are sad to see a dear friend go, or b) relieved that they, themselves, get to stay another week and wear awesome shoes, get awesome hair and make up, awesome clothing allowance, eat awesome food.....hmmm.) Ramiele, Kady and Alaina need to quit crying and toughen up. This is just the beginning, ladies! Grow some skin and git ready for hard times ahead.

Paula's dance video? I have a split opinion on this, to be honest. The larger part of me said, wwhhhhaah???? It looked and sounded like something Janet Jackson did 10 years ago, and I can't see any dance clubs seriously playing that unless they cater to under-13 crowds. But another part of me said, hey! Paula is mid-40's and looks fantastic (we should all be that lucky)...and even if she doesn't, so what? If it's something she wants/needs to do right now, then I say you go, girl! I think she has been more present this season, and maybe it's the new life this 2nd career wind has given her...there's nothing wrong with that. Okay -- Middle-Aged Paula, I Salute You!

Note to the Top 20: I know you are coached to avoid reading press, including blogs like this one, but in case you set your Google Alert for yourself and surfed on in here to Idolmama, a few bits of advice on song choice for next week:

1. People like to clap along.
2. People like to sing along ( at least in their heads)
3. People like to hear songs they know (not something obscure)

Until next week...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hear! hear! idolmama!

Anonymous said...

Idolmama, this is your Colorado Cuz. Is it just me, or does Ryan despise Simon? It's getting uncomfortable for me to watch the two of them. I hate conflict, you know. Does Simon have the power and the desire to dump Ryan? I hope not, I like that little dude. But I love Simon too. I want to hear what he has to say, but every time he tries to make a point, he's either mocked by Ryan, or interrupted by the other judges, or booed by the audience. Speaking of which, I'm afraid the boyfriend of the 18-year-old Texas girl is going to take him out when she gets the next boot (well-deserved, if not for her singing then for the daggers flying from her eyes during Simon's critique, and for consorting with hit-thug cowpokes). This is only my second season, so tell me if what seems like a trend is real, that the conflict between Simon and everyone else is escalating - it's fun to watch like a Jerry Springer show, cringe-inducing for me, and distracting from the singing going on. Vis-a-vis your comment about Randy and Paula's irrelevance, we had a family discussion, and I was the only one who thought the show could survive replacing those two with some substantive critics, you know, a couple straight-talkers whose compliments would actually mean something, and who would have the courtesy to let Simon speak. Whose side are you on?

Idolmama said...

Dang, CO Cuz....maybe you should start your own blog :) Seriously, man, I'm feelin' the love. I think it's your 2-season newbie status...the stuff between Ryan and Simon goes back to the very first show that aired. They are actually, reportedly, very good friends. But that adage comes to mind...keep your friends close, but your enemies closer....hhhmmm....thanks for reading!

Anonymous said...

Why be so tough on David the stripper. With a face like his there are lots of "illegal" things he might have chosen in order to earn a living. Who cares!

Anonymous said...

would someone please tell me what is wrong with Paula. She seems out of it, and does not have anything to say that makes sense.

Anonymous said...

idolmama, how about posting a little picture of contestents when you talk about them. I can't always remember which name goes with which face.