Wednesday, February 20, 2008

It's Ladies Night (and the Feelin's Right)

Sorry to use a 70's song on 60's night, but whatevs. It fits! But the feelin' weren't right since the flu bug hit the girls dorm.....I feel your pain. {{sniff}}. We're battling that here... stay tough.

I was reminded tonight of how important performance order is. To my new BFFs over at WhatNotToSing.com, can you build a database that contains the order in which various contestants perform against their order of elimination and final standings? Just in case you have free time to whittle away....I think it's statistically connected....thanks.....just a theory of mine. (More specifically, it seems like they start in the middle, bottom out at commercial break, then build to the most anticipated performers of the night....but then again, golden boy David A. went 6th last night dead in the middle....still testing my theories....check back later...)

(Yes, Nigel, I'm happy to come on as a consultant, whenever you're ready for me)

I am also struck by another quite obvious factor: Paula and Randy are superfluous. I know, they bring fashion and light and actual singing/recording/musicianship/production/cheerleading experience to the mix, but it's clear that the contestants wait on pins and needles not for Randy and Paula, but ONLY to hear what Simon says. This showed on nearly everyone's face tonight. And, actually will be borne out in tomorrow's results, I predict, as follows:

Simon praised our Top 4 gals from tonight by proclaiming that one "outsung everyone", another will be "sailing through", pronounced another his "favorite", and told the fourth that she was "one of the most talented girls." All of them are safe, and should be, because they were all great: Ramiele, Alaina, Asia'h, and Syesha. Ramiele was my fav going into tonight, and she remains it. She's humble, polite, talented, beautiful, real, what's not to like? I was very surprised by Alaina, and she is my second fav tonight. Although she REALLY REALLY reminds me of Carrie (but that's not a bad thing), girl can SING. Asia'h has such an infectious smile and such control, and Syesha is, well, a professional.

The middle of the pack tonight got uniformly ('cept one) negative comments from Simon Scowell: Carly, Kady, Alexandrea, Kristy, and Joanne. (The other middle-of-the-packer that got praise from Simon ("I like you") was Amanda; see below). Carly may suffer from overhypeness, and I just don't know why I'm not on board with her (too Irish? too experienced? too dyed? too tatoo'ed?), and I fear that middle America isn't yet, either. Kady was better than average but did not impress. Alexandrea was also better than average but I need to hear more from her (and hope I do). Kristy? I hardly recognized her. Where was the country and western? At least she'll get the horse votes (third place to the puppy and kitten votes). Finally, Joanne is beautiful but unfortunately Simon called it "average cabaret" which won't do her any favors. (And Paundy, to borrow from my mentor Michael Slezak at Ew.com, agreed). Lastly, Amanda tickles me....I'd love to have a beer with her and listen to her nursing tales and peruse her CD collection, because I actually think she's heard the songs from tonight before! Wow! I admire that. I also think that she makes former "rocker" girls Nikki McKibbin and Gina Glocksen look like girl scouts.

The gong should be rung for Amy Davis (I'm so sorry, dear) and Brooke, even though Simon said he liked her, but I think he was just flirting. Amy, you said that being in the Top 24 was better than 100 Christmas mornings, but your performance was like 100 Christmas hangovers to listen to.

A few other things. I had time today to finally check out VoteForTheWorst.com for the first time this season, and I gotta tell ya, what they have going there is pretty interesting, check it out if you have time and/or the inclination....among other things they have uncovered there are:
  • A clip of Syesha's Ford Sync commercial from last year (who sponsors Idol?)
  • Links to facts from Star Search showing that Alexandrea Lushington also competed (against David Archuleta!) on Star Search.
  • The fact that Randy Jackson was the senior vice president of A&R. when Carly (Hennessey) Smithson was signed to RCA Records. Conflict of interest, anyone?
Just saying...thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Idolmama -- a bit surprised to hear the 'Simon-edge' come out in your writings... "100 Christmas hangovers?" Harsh girl. But hey - THIS is American Idol!

Anonymous said...

idol mama rocks... right on mama! Can I ride in your minivan? I will be quiet if i can just sit and listen to you pontificate A.I. insights while you drive. sleezak should be mentored by you! you're like the simon of bloggers, no kidding you tell it like it is... I am a big fan!!!!!!!! u go girl.