Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Hollywood Week Round One

Tonight's two hours of "talent stronger than ever" went so fast and furious that many of the season's favs went by so fast I could hardly take notes...it was like a speed-reading class. And several of them had sought stylist help in the interim (as I would have) rendering them completely unrecognizable.

As far as I could tell, tonight crammed four out of five Hollywood audition days into one, and speed-read the reduction of 164 contestants down to 50....tomorrow will take those 50 down to the Top 24 in the final day of Hollywood Week. (I, for one, would enjoy more of this week and less auditioning, Fox, if you are listening).

I know there are mucho Top 24 Spoilers out there available...I have resisted the urge to peek. So if you are reading this and thinking to yourself, geez, Idolmama, UR a moron....everybody knows [insert potential Season Seven Idol winner] [made it/got cut]...that's because I'm still in the dark ages :)

My favorite two guys after tonight are David Hernandez and David Archuleta. We hadn't seen David H. before tonight, he was one of those Lucky Charms I mentioned earlier....just when you think you've seen it all, there is a yummy nugget in the bottom of your bowl. YUM. I'd like to love the one I'm with if it's with him :) And even though David A. is just 16 years old (ouch) I really, really like him...as Simon said, he's got the package of youth, looks and talent....I just have to forget that whole Star Search thing....

For the gals, I really like Ramiele. (course, I liked Jasmine Trias, too, and I'm not even from Hawaii). Likewise, Asai'h is a favorite of mine....I didn't recognize her at first tonight....loved her performance and can't wait to see more of her.

I can't, at this point, get excited about: Kyle Ensley (I like him in a quirky way, but not in a Clay Aiken way, more like Alex P. Keaton); Carly Smithson (all that press about her failed 5-disc deal with MCA under her maiden name has soured me a bit...most people don't get a chance like that....why should she get this one?)... Micheal Johns....(okay, again, the Hottie Aussie once had a deal with Madonna’s music label....he's cute and all, but I'm not writing home just yet); Amanda, the "rock and roll nurse"....I like her and all, but I found myself thinking of Taylor Hicks when I watched her tonight....someone we fall in love with and celebrate and champion as a unique performer, but then ultimately don't buy their CDs because we don't want to play them in the minivan.) Much-hyped Kristi Lee Cook? I'm waiting to see...her first Hollywood audition was passed over meaning she got one of those new "second chances" tonight, which means there is some vulnerability in that perfect package. I also really, really like Syesha, but am not sure of her staying power, she also warbled a bit at first and had to come back and sing again. Brooke, the piano-playing nanny? She was actually a great way to kick off the show, and one of very few tonight who managed to use an instrument as a weapon of good...but I don't think she has a depth to survive. I will note but not discuss Danny Noriega, David Cook, Robbie-with-the-beanie-who-used-to-date-Britney-Spears, Jessica Somebody and Colton Berry (did we see him before?) Just to be brief!

Which brings us to Josiah. Like the judges, I am split on him. I can see that he is very, very talented in an off-beat way. Could potentially bring a new element to Idol that we need. But wait, we did that last season with Blake....hhmmm.....we'll have to see if the judges find him Top 24-worthy.

Interestingly we saw absolutely no screen time tonight for three audition favs: Kady Malloy, Chikeze Eze and Samantha Sidley. Does this mean there was no drama with them and they make it to the Top 24? Or not?

I must make a parting bow to Kayla, Angelica Puentas, and my other hometown girl Angela Martin. Ladies, hold your heads high....I hope this Idol experience opens new doors for you, you are terrific!

Top 24 revealed tomorrow...stay tuned!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I missed the show, but not to fret... Idolmama has my back. You rock mama... in more ways than just Idol, too. Thanks for the awesome review!

Anonymous said...

I'm with ya on the 2 David's for sure! Just wanted to hug David A. (Paula was thinking the same).... but oh, that Michael Johns! Was that the guy singing Queen? oh yeah.