Thursday, February 28, 2008

Emo Elimination Night

I'm still tittering from shock at tonight's show. I was one-for-four! I'm Idolmama! I'm supposed to do better than that! But worse, I think the wrong people went home! But wait, THIS is American Idol....so the rules aren't clear.

My only correct choice was Jason Yeager. He was more emo than I thought he would be, given that every major news outlet from Bangor to Bel Air predicted his ouster (guess he is paying attention to the "don't read anything" edict to the Idol contenders issued by Fox/19/whatever it is). He doesn't have a bad voice, 'tis true, but my only advice to him would be, head straight to the nearest stylist! That Pepe Le Pew streak just didn't help you connect.

Now, I'll be honest....I would have bet my 2001 minivan that Amanda was going home, but when she was standing next to Alexandrea, I was a little nervous, but still confident in my prediction....and the wrong gal went home. Poor David A.....his upset was due to the fact that he and Alex go waaaaay back (to when they were twelve, that is) when they competed against each other on Star Search. I really, really think Alexandrea is very talented, and should not have been eliminated. Her exit performance showed that.

Note on exit performances: I've always admired those who can hold their head up and not cry (not that there is anything wrong with crying, and it's certainly what I would do, BUT...) that exit performance, no matter when it comes for you in the competition, is essentially a job interview for your next gig....and so best to do your best, looking forward instead of backward....easier said than done for some than for others like...

...Alaina Whittaker. I'll be honest with you, I am truly crushed. I was looking forward to seeing and hearing Alaina for at least the next couple of weeks if not longer. I did agree with Simon that she was a dark horse, in that people might not have noticed her since she was young and had long blond hair like a few of the other contestants this season and maybe got lost because of that. But when I listened to her, I heard something different, just a little more mature, little more together for lack of a better word....and I will really miss her in this competition. Best to you my dear! And we took that exit performance and used it as a Teaching Moment in my house (thank you, Alaina) to teach the kids, even when you just feel like you absolutely can't do something....chances are, you can. Her exit performance was beautiful.

Not that you thought that was the end of the sadness, of the shock.....THIS is American Idol.....but no, the Boy Bander Robbie Carrico went home! I thought he would at least have the girlie vote (even though he did nothing for me, and at last check, I was a girl). It's just a very surprising ouster given that he was a professional in this business as a teen.....well, just goes to show that all that hype about past professional experience among this year's Top 24 didn't amount to a Hill O 'Beans as they say down South.

Final words: for those of you who missed "Idol Gives Back" last season, don't miss it this year. It was an amazing night of performances, funnies, footage from communities in Africa and the U. S. who will benefit from monies raised...and this year's show looks to be as good, if not better. Set your TiVo for a great night on Idol.

It's getting tougher....we're down to 16......who deserves to make the final 12?

No comments: