Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Andrew Lloyd Idol

Okay, I have a new Idol after tonight's show: Andrew Lloyd Webber. Wow, what a fantastic mentor! Neil Diamond, take note! I was a little bit leery when I saw the promo....I know Broadway has been covered on Idol, but wondered how this crop would fare....I would say, it wasn't feast or famine, it was somewhere in the middle.

The Idols didn't all together seem "out of their comfort zones" as Ryan pronounced, just Jason and David Cook. The rest easily found a home in the works of one of the greatest songwriters ever. Loved that they brought the band down to stage level (finally!) and Ricky Minor was out front tonight, which I dug. (He's a cool cat, Google him!) In the words of ALW, it's all about the Words and the Stories. As an aspiring writer, I'm with ya! The key word tonight going into tonight's show was Survival to me....just get 'er done. Question: who would falter in that goal?

Syesha "no shoes" Mercado came out first (uh oh) in a red dress she'd been poured into to do a number from Starlight Express: "One Rock N Roll Too Many". I thought it was classy, and beautiful, with real persona.....she is an actress, after all! Her genre completely. We'll see her in NY when she does NOT win Idol '07. In the words of my SIL, she was "competent, but no 'wow' factor." She may have been in her "happy place" like Paula said, but she won't be happy in the B3.

Jason Castro admitted that he was not familiar with the music of ALW but chose a very well known song ("Memory") to perform. It was sweet, perfect Jason...not his best. Randy admitted that he's a "beautiful guy"but Simon said it was a struggle...

...speaking of struggle, in comes Brooke White. She did "You Must Love Me" from Evita, and her stop-and-start wasn't the only problem with the number. Even though ALW said she Got IT in rehearsal, I guess she was still so nervous and rattled from her botched opening that I didn't get it. When Paula offers real criticism, it's baaaaaad. Brooke = B3.

Archie, aka Little David, knew what had to be done, and like the professional he is, got in there and got 'er done. David Archuleta did "Think of Me" again from Phantom,but in an uptempo way which was a little bit unusual.....don't know this stuff. Gotta admit, liked it...solid as my kid's chocolate bunny in the freezer since Easter....but I'm still a bit bored by his robotics.

Carly Smithson is clearly having fun now. She looks relaxed, and prettier than ever...I'd pegged her to go home, but after tonight, who knows? One of her strongest performances to date. LOVED how ALW called her off on her first song choice and steered her in the direction of one that better suited her....and he was right. Tee-shirt at the end ("Simon Loves Me -- This Week!) was funny.

David Cook seemed to struggle a bit with the genre, but we know he's so totally safe, so why discuss?

I'd say Phantom was the winner of the night, with two songs of the six selected... was ALW the Best Mentor Ever? Also, the strings and background vocals really impressed tonight...thanks, everyone!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Finally a mentor that actually MENTORED. It seemed to me that the others were there just for 'show' and to throw out gratuitous compliments and empty words of encouragement... maybe even promote a new album... :( ALW was actually working, engaging, constructing song choices individually. So glad he changed Carly's song choice. I loved her performance (and dress)! My fav still remains David Cook, with Carly a very close 2nd..

Idolmama said...

I think he seemed genuinely pleased to be there, as well...and unless there is a new showcoming out, nothing to profit from! I agree with ya, Susie! I was quite impressed, and he had such a great sense of humor, too! :)

Idolmama said...

My Biggest Fan pointed that I was correct in noting that Phantom was the winner of the night, but not for song selection. ALW did benefit from his stint on AI with the promotion of the Phantom Theater (and show!) in Vegas to which the Idols traveled! Course, silly me :) It was as if I had gotten hit in the end by that ginormous chandelier...good catch, DH!