Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Diamond in the Rough

DC, DC, DC....and I don't mean the 63 square-mile capitol of our fair nation, I mean David Cook! There is much Internet wonder as to whether he is unstoppable on the path to the coronation of American Idol Season 7's Winner. Tonight's performances definitely supported the unstoppable claims! The man is an incredible talent, no question, and I enjoy him each and every week! Wow! The guy is handed the Neil Diamond songbook, and he makes ruby-flavored lemonade. Now, I'm not rushing out to buy tickets to his July concert here in Chicago or his new CD, but I'm just sayin'.....

On that note, before we get to my take on tonight's performances, I'd better cover some housekeeping.

I owe an apology to Neil. I admitted last week that I wasn't at all looking forward to tonight. I didn't think I was that familiar with his songbook, was not feeling the older mentor vibe, and pretty much felt he was appearing on Idol because of the new CD and tour and was a little bit jaded by that fact. I must retract some of those sentiments after watching tonight's show. Much like Dolly Parton, I knew the name and a few songs, but really didn't appreciate this man's amazing songwriting and performing talents and his contribution to the American songbook. His four-decades-long career and his recently released 26th (!) album should be enough to impress, but I didn't know he wrote the Monkee's "I'm a Believer"! I'm a Faniamond! In fact, Blockbuster.com, take note: please add The Jazz Singer to my queue!

On to the "perky"contestants, as Neil aptly named them. In case you spent tonight in a cave (or an otherwise TiVo-less world) each one performed two Neil Diamond songs of his/her choosing. Because ten performances were squeezed into one hour, it was a fast-paced show. I will write about each in the order I liked them, from my favorite, to my least favorite! (Course, must be said, they are all talented....but someone has to go...)

As you probably got from the top of my post, David Cook deserves all my love tonight. His first performance of "I'm Alive" was so terrific mostly because it didn't sound like a Neil Diamond song (I mean no disrespect by that, just saying...) but also because it was just great. Like Neil said, DC has the"right material, the right attitude, and the right voice." I know he was thinking of his brother with his jacket and guitar tip off, and again, such public pain he is dealing with. 63 square miles of hugs to you, DC!!

I get a lot of flak at work and from my Mom about Jason, but still -- Love him! I can't believe the negatives he got from the judges tonight. This was pure, understated Jason. Beautiful voice, soft and heartfelt delivery. His "Forever in Blue Jeans"was terrific, and such a perfect choice for his laid-back self. "September Morn" again a slow song, and okay, Jason didn't break out of the box with this one, but he did deliver it solidly and with feeling. I sincerely hope you speed-dialed him!!

Third for me tonight was, regrettably, Archie. I liken him to a carnival novelty, where you put the quarter in, and watch the monkey do a trick or a dance? Every week I put my quarter in, and every week I get the same predictable, solid and somewhat bland (but proficient) performance from David Archuleta. No surprises. (Well, he forgot the words that one time, but other than that, for me his performances are good, but interchangeable from week to week.) "Sweet Caroline" was just that, and the flag waving "America"was as Simon said, a smart choice of song.

Number four tonight for me was Syesha. I know she's an actress, and she is beautiful, we've covered that, but she's also actually a very, very good singer and performer. Her "Hello, Again" was beautiful. Once I got past the dramatic eyeshadow, I liked her softer parts and could almost connect with the song's lyric of connecting with someone lost.....then she started that Belter thing and lost me. Her final number, the show-closing "Thank The Lord for the Nighttime" was great fun, she worked the stage and sounded great, but did she connect with people, and win over enough new fans from the departed Carly, to keep her safe?

Finally, for me, Brooke. She probably has a massive fan base to keep her in this week (past Syesha or --prepare yourself -- SHOCKER-- Jason, say it ain't so!) but I really think she has met her match. Her first number on guitar, the aforementioned Monkee's "Daydream Believer", was as Simon aptly put, a "nightmare." In fact, I found myself picking the eye boogers off my dog halfway through, I was so bored and distracted. Her second number, "I Am, I Said" was delivered on the piano and with much better fit and conviction for her, yet still lacking for me. I like Brooke, but she cannot win, and let's just be honest about that.

My favorite sign in the audience: "My husband has a man crush on Seacrest!"
Other favorite sign: "Simon for Governor of Cowell-Fornia!"
Other favorite moment: Paula's confusion over what feedback to give on which performances. "OMG, I thought you sang twice!" Let's call this Paula's Senior Moment. Very painful to watch. Although, in her defense, it's true that things are filmed out of sequence for the "Live"show....so maybe she was right....gotta look into that!

Who do YOU think is going home? Who had the best take on Neil Diamond's songbook? And will you be rushing out to buy Neil's new CD or buy tix to his tour?

4 comments:

L. said...

I am soooo over Archuleta, I can't stress it enough. I don't even like mentioning how much I dislike him because it draws some attention to him. EVERYTHING he sings sounds and looks the same way. I would LOVE to see him go home tonight, but that would be the biggest upset in American Idol history. I think it's going to be Syesha's turn. Not because she was bad last night, but because she isn't well liked amongst Idol voters...

Idolmama said...

Hey, thanks for reading! True, Syesha is at the bottom of every office poll worldwide. But stranger things have happened. I'd like to see the ladies at the bottom given, as you say, Archie won't be there.

dear friend said...

I would be happiest if Paula was sent permanently packing tonight instead of any of the contestants. It is difficult to stomach the obscene amount of money she makes for being worse than a mediocrity. As for the contestants, I have to call you out Idolmama! Could your soft spot for Jason have colored your analysis, because I thought that he gave the worst performances of the night except for Brooke's first one. It is unfortunate that Syesha has not developed a fan base because she gets better every week and was better than Jason, Brooke and Archie last night. Perhaps she will surprise and be season 7's version of Vonzell Solomon who, if memory serves, made the top three of her year. Regardless of the outcome, Syesha will go further in her professional career than Jason. Sorry, but it's time to get real.

Unknown said...

Idolmama -- don't forget about me when securing those tickets to see DC live! I'm so in. ..win or lose.
I think he could do an album of Neil Diamond covers. How cool was that!! Wow.. I wanted to hear more. just sayin ;)