Monday, April 7, 2008

Larry King (and Idol) Live!


I hope you caught Monday's broadcast of Larry King Live! with Randy, Paula, Simon and Ryan, it was very interesting. Larry posed the questions, the judges talked over one another constantly, Ryan acted like he was gunning for Larry's job, everyone disagreed on everything, and Paula babbled. In case you missed it, Idolmama's got you covered! You can also read the official transcript yourself here. Highlights below!

Front half of the hour focused on discussion of Idol Gives Back: where the money goes, how people can donate, where the idea came from...reran the clip of Fantasia and Elliot from a couple of weeks ago, and talked a little bit about the taping of the show, which happened on Sunday night.

Then some fun stuff began...talk about the final Eight! Larry asked if Paula had a favorite: "Yes. I mean, with these kids, they're...I mean, I think, we all pretty much agree who the top -- who the top -- (INAUDIBLE)" Got that? Larry asked Ryan if it was the best group ever, and Ryan agreed that he thought it was. Larry asked Simon and Ryan if theirs was an ongoing feud, or just for show? Simon answered, " It's like anything, there are times when I like him. There are other times, particularly on the show, where I find him annoying. I described him recently as like a little mosquito you have in your bedroom, which is after a while it's oh, shut up. You know, it's annoying. You don't hate the mosquito, you just want it out of your face."

Larry asked Randy, how do you judge/compare a country performance with a rock performance? Randy answered, there are lots of ways. It's not so much the style as was the vocal good? Was it in tune? Was the melody sang great? Did they have any emotion to it, you know, was there any connection?

Larry showed video of the final 8 and got judge's feedback on what they thought the chances were of each of them winning. I couldn't believe how brutally honest Simon was...and Paula definitely needed a chair because she had trouble standing up for the last part of the hour. Brief summary on each judge's opinion on the final 8, in the order they were presented by Larry King:

David Cook: Randy said, "Definitely a favorite. He is definitely one of my favorites. I think he's got a shot at winning the whole thing, this kid. Love him." Paula said, "Love him. Very talented." Simon said, "This is the guy I would actually choose to listen to on a personal level. Forget what I think about the business. I like this guy. I think he's very good."

Carly: Simon said, "I tell you the problem I have with Carly is I don't think she knows who she is. I don't think she -- I don't think you can listen to a Carly song and go, that's who she is. Does this, does that. She's a good singer but I think every artist has to know who she is." Randy agreed, saying "He's right. I have to give him trumps on that. He's right, 100 percent right." Paula added "But I don't think, I think she picks songs that she thinks we're going to, you know, approve" and that she thinks she has an amazing voice, and thought that Simon was " too hard on her with her not looking like a star."

Michael: Randy said "He's a really talented guy. My problem with him is up until recently he's been picking the wrong songs. He's kind of like this bluesy, soulful -- blue-eyed soul kind of singer but he always picks stuff that doesn't allow him to do his thing." Paula added "You know, he's wonderful. And then he gets it right when he does the whole kind of blues soul thing." Simon added only that "Yes, this suits him." but then agreed with Randy who said they didn't like it when he did the rock guy thing.

Brooke: Paula said, "She puts her heart and soul into every song. America really connects with her. She's got a very unique thing." Simon said, "I like her. She doesn't have a governor. In other words she gets on stage and she says what's on her mind without thinking about it, without being too much of a politician." Randy said "She is a pretty transparent as a performer. I just think that with her it's about really picking the right songs. I mean, people have been comparing her to like the new Carly Simon folk movement. She's just staying in that area to me. Anything outside of there is weird." Then Simon added "I totally agree. Carly Simon - she's great. Her problem is the last two weeks she's been boring." Can she make the Top 3 or 4? Yes, with good song choices, the judges agreed.

David Archuleta: Randy starts by saying that "I think David is really, really talented. He's also ones of the ones to beat. I think his big thing though is he started out with a big splash. It's about picking the right song. And it's hard to know who you are at 17. But I think he's got an idea. He just has to stick to his heart and be that." Paula says "He's been doing this for a long time. You know, when we were on the road I kept referring to him as the 16-year-old savant. He really has that presence. He knows who he is." Simon says simply, "He's the one to beat, Larry. He really is" and that "this guy is going to have the teen vote. He's going to have what I call the granny votes. The kids love him."

Kristy Lee: Simon starts quickly by saying" The odds of her winning are one million to one." Randy adds "Yes, I don't think she'll win but I think she definitely could have a recording contract somewhere down the road. She'd definitely make a good country girl." Simon continues by saying "She has no chance of winning, Larry. I honestly -- the trouble is, I mean, she does sound okay doing country music. She's just not a great country singer, that's the problem. It's all about being invisible and forgettable." Paula argues that " None of these kids are forgettable. They're still on the show."

Jason: Randy says "Jason's cool. I don't think he'll win either. I don't think he's got a shot at winning. I think he's okay as a singer." Simon says "I think this guy is all about song choice. When he same the Jeff Buckley song "Hallelujah" he was really good. The trouble is he turns up every week and he looks like he doesn't care." Paula adds that "He's got a definitive style vocally" but Simon says they are all unique. Randy surprises everyone by saying that " I wouldn't [sign Jason] but I'd sign Kristy Lee Cook. "

Syesha: Paula starts this round by saying that "[Country Week] was a big night for her. But I do agree, I think we are all on the same page that I wish she would have sang the song vulnerable like Dolly Parton, just like this. And never went into the power side." Randy adds that "With her I feel more like I'm looking at an actress singer as opposed to just a singer." and Simon agrees with Randy that theater will probably be better for Syesha.

Hour ended with call-ins from viewers...all interesting but too much to sum up here ...a couple of highlights were Simon's response to the question, who was your favorite past Idol winner? I thought he would say Fantasia, but instead he answered "I would have to say Kelly Clarkson because I think we have a lot to be thankful for to Kelly Clarkson because by her winning and doing so well it kind of gave the show credibility. And now I've got to know her better over the years. I like her more as a person now as well. The great thing about Kelly is, I have to tell you, no messing around with this girl. She makes up her own mind what she's going to do."

Another caller asked, What do you feel about the fact that idol voting often seems based more on charm, personal history, or looks than on genuine performing talent? Randy answered "All I can say is that every season the winner is the one chosen with the best vocal talent. I think they've gotten it right every time." Simon disagreed immediately and pointed to Season 5 as an example of Taylor Hicks not being the best singer. Larry asks if this is the final season of AI, and the panel responds, no, that they've got a few more years left, mostly because the show isn't on very often so people don't tire of it as quickly.

Predictions for who goes next? Syesha, Kristy Lee or possibly Jason. Predictions for the final 2? Unanimous: The Davids will square off!

Thanks to Larry for his neverending patience with this crew!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.