Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Top 7 Glitter with Mariah Carey


Glitter! Glam! Leather! Heels! Sparkle! Cleavage! And thankfully, great music! All things Mariah tonight and I was so very pleasantly surprised at how solidly entertaining the show was. Mariah left her Diva counterpart at home, and took her mentor role seriously, actually gave the Idols constructive tips ...and just enough kind words and support to carry them through what were all very good performances. (her only Diva Sin was bringing her dog along! But he was kinda cute....)

Paula, too, was on task tonight and looked terrific in purple...lots of celebs in the audience including Minnie Driver, Teri Hatcher (how could ya miss her) and my kid's fav, iCarly (forgive me, hon, I don't know your real name). Tough night for the gals as Simon opines, and he knows what he's talking about...in the order of performance...

David A. opens with "When You Believe" which I am not familiar with, but after listening to a few bars, realize that Simon is right -- what a perfect song for the sunshiny-save-the-world David. Clearly he's trying to step up his image from G-rated to maybe PG-13 with those leather pants. Well, Archie believes in himself, believes in his voice, and he knows himself, just as Professor Randy asked him to do....and it works. Nice job. Even though he's in the number 1 performance spot, Prediction: he's so very safe.

Carly follows with a song I do recognize,"Without You" and is looking the best she has looked all season....outfit is perfect, and she looks happy and relaxed and like she is really enjoying this. When meeting Mariah, it's clear the mentor is a fan, as she tells Carly that she's been "waiting to meet her"(how cool is that) and embraces her warmly. Randy thought it was pretty good but Simon didn't think she pulled it off and said she was over thinking things and too wound up....I think that she knows that she "can't give.....can't give anymore!" and after tonight, maybe she won't have to! A talented singer for sure, but prediction: B3.

Next up was Syesha, with her version of "Vanishing", also a song I'd never heard. With the exception of one very weird and off run in the middle, I thought it was beautiful and vocally, terrific. Wow, Syesha was stunning tonight! All those sparklies, even in her hair. I finally saw all singer and no actress. But is it enough? Prediction: B3.

The piano and Brooke came out for an unplugged version of the hit "Hero"which has a special place for me (ask me about that later). Vocally, it was so-so....I honestly felt like it was the kind of performance you would hear in an upscale hotel piano bar...she absolutely rushed the tempo into the second half and seemed like she was just trying to hold it together and not doing a good job....maybe it was just nerves. When Simon gave his feedback, she got that pouty look that just doesn't sit well with me. Prediction: B3.

Kristy Lee chose "Forever" as her song, and this was the first time I'd heard it (guess I don't get to that many weddings anymore). To my great surprise, I liked it! KLC looked absolutely gorgeous and delivered the song very well. Paula is correct that KLC is a "very smart girl" even though Simon thought it was whiny...she just needs a little coaching from Mariah on how to stand and sing in heels. Far from Karaoke Hell as Simon called it. Prediction: safe!

Inquiring minds (well, mine!) were just waiting to see how David Cook would handle Mariah Week. We knew he could do it, it was just a matter of HOW. Tonight he showed us by picking the hit tune "Always Be My Baby"which I sort of recognized into it, but true to DC style, he shook it up just enough that I almost didn't. Loved the strings! I'm seriously glad that despite the footage with Mariah, he didn't play guitar for the performance because while I know he could have, it would have distracted me from his great vocals.

Earlier in the evening, I had noticed a fellow seated behind Paula that didn't look well and seemed, despite his very front-row Idol seat, not to have much energy for it...then changed seats with someone else...then went missing for two performances....then came back for David's. I am venturing a guess that this is David's brother who is battling cancer, and that David's tears at the end of his performance were for him, sitting there in the audience. David, for ME, even though often compared to Daughtry, is far more compelling a person and performer, and tonight's display of heart convinces me. Prediction: safe.

(NOTE: Just before I published this comment, I saw this article from the Terre Haute News that tells of David Cook's brother Adam Cook's heroic journey to Hollywood to see his brother perform on Idol...WOW). Kinda puts everything in perspective, no? I can only imagine how tough it must be to be facing that as a family, and to be in the public eye all the while...David and family, you are in my prayers. {{hugs}}.

Finally, Castro in the pimp spot! What will he do? He does what he does best....an acoustic version (but not playing, again thank goodness) of Mariah's "I Don't Wanna Cry"...and it's terrific. I loved the footage of him with Mariah, he's like, "Dang, I'm sittin' here with Mariah Carey!" with a giggle, seemingly pinching himself. I think Randy's coconut bra was strapped on a little too tight because it was fantastic.

Mariah! Awesome! Songs! Great! Mentor! Thanks! Idol!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Not a Mariah fan.. never have been. And I don't agree that her only Diva sin was bringing her dog?! You've got to be kidding me. Who could possibly focus on anything she was saying, when her 'twins' were completely stealing the show! Distracting to say the least. I'm afraid of what will come out of tonight's performance.. literally!!!
Love the update Idolmama.. David Cook is hot hot hot!